Chapter 17 - All or Nothing at All

During the drive home, Jonathon was sick with grief. So many times he'd thought he'd had his chance with Helen, and then she'd been wrenched from him.  But this time it was far worse, knowing she would be all alone in a strange city, working in a dangerous factory with a child on the way. If something happened to her, if she was hurt, or couldn't make enough money to survive and was living on the streets, he'd have no way of knowing.

Feeling his eyes sting with unshed tears, he leaned his head back on the leather seat and squeezed them shut. He couldn't bear this. He loved her too much.

This was all his fault, he thought suddenly as a white hot rage burned through him. What the hell had Walt Dwyer been thinking? Everyone knew you didn't do things with a girl that would get her in the family way until you married her. Walt had been completely careless with Helen, a girl he supposedly cared about.  Jonathon would never forgive him for putting her in that terrible position.

It was quiet when he came in the house, and he went directly up to his bedroom. He was glad Billy's bedroom door was closed when he reached the top of the stairs. His brother had said he'd had a school project that was due on Monday.  Hopefully he'd be too busy to notice Jonathon was even home because he couldn't talk to anyone in the state he was in.

In his room, he kicked off his shoes and took off his jacket. After loosening his tie, he laid on his bed and pulled a pillow over his head. His eyes stung again, but this time he didn't try to stop the tears.

Hours later, there was a knock on his door. "Johnny, what are you doing in there?" Billy asked loudly. He sounded alarmed, and no wonder. Jonathon didn't think he'd lain in bed when the sun was still up since he was a toddler.

"I'm reading over reports."

"Oh, well, it's time for dinner."

Jonathon sighed deeply. He considered not going down, but he knew Billy would ask questions. "I'll be there in a minute," he called out. Slowly climbing out of bed, he thought he hadn't felt this bad ever, not even when he'd lost his parents.

He avoided Billy's eyes when he took his place at the table, hoping his brother wouldn't notice how red they were. Annie came through the swinging door and set down the last of their dinner dishes. Jonathon contemplated the food without interest while his heart ached unbearably. Maybe he should beg off, say he wasn't feeling well so he could have an excuse to go back to bed.

"Did you hear the news about Helen Anderson?" Annie said, and his head snapped up.

"No, what is it?" Bill asked.

"She's leaving town – permanently!" Annie cried. "She said she doesn't think we'll ever see each other again."

Billy looked at Jonathon with shock. "Why would she do that?" he said, turning his attention back to Annie.

"She wants to get a job at a factory to help with the war effort – for Walt."

Jonathon studied her carefully, but from the look in her eyes, he could tell she didn't know the truth.

"I know why she wants to help out," Annie continued sadly. "But she's my best friend. I'm sure going to miss her."

"Did she say when she was leaving?" Billy asked, looking back and forth between Annie and Jonathon.

"This Friday," she said, and turned to leave.

When she was gone, Billy leaned towards Jonathon, but Jonathon wouldn't look at him. "Did you know about this?"

"Yes, I knew," he muttered.

"You need to go to her! You need to talk her out of it, convince her to stay!"