Chapter 22 - Fools Rush In

Helen was pouring coffee with an apron over her dress when Jonathon walked in the dining room. The table was set with the good china, and there was a plate piled high with waffles, another with bacon, and bowl of fruit salad already on the table.

"Good morning," she said with a smile, setting down the coffee carafe as he approached her.

"You look like you've been busy this morning."

"I was helping Annie," she said, taking off the apron. "She was extra busy since we were doing a big breakfast for Billy in addition to the graduation lunch this afternoon."

She turned in the direction of the butler's pantry, but he looped his arm around her waist and pulled her back. "Hold on," he said with a wily grin, unable to resist. "I haven't had a chance to admire your new dress."

She always looked beautiful, but she looked especially pretty that morning.  The stylish wrap dress hugged her curves, and the lilac color made her blue eyes appear almost purple.

"Oh," she said, looking down with a shy smile. "It's not new. I borrowed it from Annie."

His smile dropped. "You borrowed it from Annie."

"I wanted to look nice for the graduation ceremony and I didn't think any of my dresses were good enough. Annie bought this back in December, before the–"

"Why didn't you ask me for money to buy a dress?" he asked loudly. "I can afford to buy you clothes, Helen. You can buy as many dresses as you want!"

"I don't want to spend your money."

"Why not? You're my wife!"

"I – I – guess you're right," she said, her shoulders slumping. "I'm not used to being able to shop whenever I want. I'll remember next time," she said.  She dropped her head, and he immediately felt bad.

"It's alright," he said with a reassuring smile, wanting to make her feel better. "I appreciate that you're not the kind of girl who's frivolous with money. That's a good thing, but please don't be afraid to ask when you need something. It makes me happy to take care of you."

She smiled. "Okay." While she continued to smile, he inclined his head closer and was rewarded with a soft kiss before she slid out of his arm and ducked into the kitchen.

He grinned on the way to his chair. Ever since their first kiss at the pond, she'd been a lot more affectionate and free with kisses. His favorite part of the day now was when he walked her to the cabin in the evening. Their goodnight kisses were long and lingering, leaving both of them breathless.

It didn't bother him that she hadn't been willing to go further. He could tell her feelings for him were becoming stronger. It wouldn't be much longer before she invited him to stay the night.

"Hey, this looks nice, Helen," Billy said, both of them entering the dining room at the same time.

"Thank you, Billy" Helen said.

"Helen's done a lot of work to make sure this is a special day for you," Jonathon said with a sense of pride. They may have had a slow start to their marriage, but he was pleased she was finally stepping into the role of woman of the house.

"Annie worked hard too," Helen said, taking her seat. "Kitty's coming to the luncheon after the ceremony, isn't she?"

"Yeah, I asked her," Billy said, putting his napkin in his lap. "After lunch, I hope you two don't mind if I go out. A bunch of the fellows are planning a get-together for just us so we can celebrate."