Chapter 30: Dusk at Dawn

*Abby POV*

I woke up to a ringing in my ears. I rose out of the darkness as if my soul departed from my body. I felt myself return as I wailed in a fit of coughs. I turned to my side, and curled into a ball.

...

After a while, I reopened my eyes. My bedroom stared at me expectantly, and I tried to blink it away. I got to my feet.

My body was sore, as if I had been in a fight or exercised for twenty four hours straight.

But I remembered what happened. Every bit of it. The worst part is, I couldn't see what was happening in front of me like I usually could.

I looked in the mirror. I looked ten years older. My skin was discolored, stained with a bruises from my eyes, down my neck, and down my naked body.

I felt gravity press in on me. I felt myself looking at myself as if I was another person. My eyes were black. In just a second, it seemed like I would pounce at my own reflection and tear myself apart. I remembered to breathe. I coughed, suddenly feeling disillusioned. I flinched and looked away. It wasn't me. None of it was.

I tucked myself back into my room. I sat on my sheets that were torn from their roots. I pressed my head under my hands and breathed. Everything was fuzzy. I didn't want to be here.

...

I slipped on some of my loosest jeans and a turtle neck. I looked at myself in the mirror. Most of my bruises were covered. A few still were showing on my face. I wanted to tear them off of my skin. I turned away.

I walked out of my room and into the kitchen, hoping for some food.

There stood James, flipping an egg on the stove. He turned to me, a wild smile and lights behind his eyes.

"Hey, babe. I wished you wouldn't come out just now. I was going to surprise you."

"Rachel's coming home today. You might want to leave soon."

"Alright. But don't listen to her, okay? She only cares about her own concerns. What she wants for you isn't always what you want."

"Right."

He turned off the stove and scooped the egg onto the plate. He then bent down to kiss me, his mouth as smooth as honey.

"Goodbye, love."

He then left. The boom of the door echoed through the apartment. I felt a twist in my stomach. I miss him already. He isn't the same guy as last night. He loves me. Rachel isn't coming home today. Why did I say that?

...

A week later.

*Rachel POV*

The train roared into the station, while I gazed out the window at people scattering about from platform to platform.

I saw a brown-haired ginormously tall guy standing in the middle of all the commotion looking down at a phone, who I recognized to be my boyfriend. He seemed out of place, in a good way, like a pearl in the ocean. Is that weird to think about someone who's doing such a normal thing in a normal place?

I stepped off of the train as soon as I could, skipping down the steps as if in a race.

The guy looked up from his phone, a smile forming on his lips. He slipped the device into his pocket. I ran into his arms.