Chapter 3

24 Days Until...

Brooke

I wake up to my alarms obnoxious ringing. My hand slams down on it, like it does every morning to get it to shut the hell up. I then proceed to get my butt out of bed and down to our kitchen, yawning. Then it all comes back to me. The fact that I now have a friend, the dread of wondering if it will last throughout the whole day... And I really hope it lasts. If not, it's just back to what I'm used to, which somehow makes me feel like I'd rather just not live. One person can make that big of an impact on my life and that scares me. Who wouldn't be scared about that? Let's just say, I really hope this feeling of hope in my chest lasts longer than today. On that note, I grab a bagel and put it in the toaster. While it's toasting, I go up to my room to pick out something to wear for the day. Definitely not the usual baggy sweater, sweatpants, and converse look. I grab my black leather jacket, Sleeping With Sirens tank top, black ripped skinny jeans, and black combat boots. Like damn, if this isn't a perfect kick ass outfit, I don't know what is. I walk downstairs, grabbing my bag first, so I can eat before I go outside to wait for the bus to pick me up. "Hey Mom." I greet her as I walk into the kitchen. "Morning Brooke, I buttered up your bagel for you." She says to me with a smile, looking up from her laptop for a quick second. "Thanks Mom!" This is honestly the first time we have had a conversation in a really long time. I eat it quickly so I'm not late and run outside. As soon as I'm out of the door I hit something and start falling backward, but hands catch me from hitting the ground. "Hey what's the rush Brooke?" He stands me up and lets me go, his eyes twinkling with amusement and a slight chuckle escaping his lips. "The bus is coming and I can't miss it. Thanks for saving me from the ground."

"Yea, no problem. But seriously, what's the rush?" Apparently mister fan of everything here doesn't like school. "I want to learn Josh. That's the one part I actually enjoy about school."

"You're a smart one?" He asks me. "Yep, and apparently you are not a fan of school." He smirks at that. "Well, only an insane psycho would enjoy it."

"What are you trying to say there rudeness?" He puts his arm over my shoulder, the smirk still on his face. "I'm trying to say you're crazy Brooke, obviously." The bus pulls up and the driver honks at us. We walk up, not running since I obviously can't handle that anymore. "You're hot when you're angry Brooke." I respond with an eye roll and a slight blush rises to my face. Ugh...why do I have to blush? I slip into the first seat on the bus and Josh slides in next to me. "You are going to absolutely ruin any chance of having friends in this school by being near me Josh."

"Meh, whatever Brooke. I have more than enough friends at my old school." Why is he so stubborn? "It's your death wish Josh." I stare out the window and I can feel him staring at me. "You look gorgeous right now Brooke." My face turns red and I look over at him. A light flashes and I see his phone. This boy just took a damn picture of me. "Thanks, and really? A picture?"

"Yep." He says chuckling again. "Had to show some people the gorgeous girl I just met." He smiles at me. The jerk...

"Hey bitch! Did you finally find someone who will talk to your fat ass?" Josh looks at me with hurt laced in his chocolate brown eyes. And anger. Anger at the people who make my life a living hell. My eyes lower to the ground, avoiding his. "Don't fucking talk to her like that again you bastard." Josh says to him calmly, but his body tense, like a ticking bomb about to blow up and leave nothing in its wake. "How much are you paying him to talk to you bitch?" Josh looks like he's right at the brink of blowing up now. I place my hand on his arm, his hand is in a fist and his muscles are taut, like a tiger ready to spring for its prey. I would be lying if I said this wasn't hot. "Josh, calm down. He's not worth it. Trust me."