Chapter Eight

"Are you going to the party tonight?" Chloe asked as I took a seat at our lunch table. I snorted, "I didn't even know there's a party tonight. So, no, I'm not going."
Holly pouted, "Why not? You never go to parties with us."
"I don't liiike parties," I whined. "You need to find the 'perfect' dress, do your hair and makeup 'perfectly' and walk in 6 inches high heels to look the 'perfect' height."

"You don't need all that, you're perfect just by yourself," a voice from behind me spoke up. I rolled my eyes and turned around, "Shut up, Ryan." He chuckled and took a seat beside me. Chloe and Holly looked like they were about to pass out, while Nate, Seb and Evan gave him those 'guy nods'.

"I'm guessing you're going?" I said, directing to Ryan.
"Obviously," he replied cockily.
"Obviously," I mimicked in a horrible, squeaky voice. He rolled his eyes at me while the guys chuckled.

"First, that's not how I sound. At all. And second, you are going to the party, with me. I will carry you out if I have to," he said.
"Try me," I retorted.
"Well, if you say so," he said as he leaned towards me. I gasped falsely and slapped his chest. Everyone at the table laughed and I lightly chuckled, since I was still red from blushing.

"I don't have a dress I can wear to the party." Yeah! Maybe that can save me from going.

I was about to say "Sorry, I guess I can't go then" but Chloe just had to ruin it.

"We're going shopping after school. No ifs or buts."

I slumped in my seat.
"Thought that could save you, didn't you?" Ryan huskily whispered in my ear.   I turned my head toward him, which was a mistake because his face was an inch away from mine.

He had deep brown eyes, I could get lost in it.

We were full on staring at each other, his close approximation making my heart best fast.

We didn't break contact for once, when someone cleared their throat. I snapped out of his daze and turned away, showing him my side profile. I saw him move back into his original position, but still felt his eyes on me.

Chloe and Holly stared at me with shock, and I knew they wanted to say something to me but held back because everyone was here.

I broke my stare off with them and looked back at my food to eat it. I put the first bite in my mouth, and Nate couldn't have found a better moment to ask, "Did you guys have sex, yet?" because I instantly started choking on my food.

Ryan patted my back and Seb offered me water, which I gladly took after I calmed down a bit.

I looked at Nate, baffled. "Did you leave your mind at home?!" and smacked him upside the head. He smiled at me sheepishly.

The bell rang sometime after, and we all dispersed. I went to my Physics classroom and took my seat.

"Oh, look. It's Riley Miller," a female voice said, venom clear in her voice. I already knew who it was, my former friend, Sierra Anderson.

I looked at her with a bored expression, "Are you lost?"
She smiled sickly sweet smile, "Nope. Just wanted to talk to friend."
"Then go talk to your friend," I retorted.
"I am, silly! You are my friend."

I really don't know what she wanted right now, but I didn't care either.

Without responding, I flipped her off. She gasped, and started to say something but I cut her off, "I'm not your friend. Get that in your head. And leave me alone because I really don't have time for your bullshit, I have better things to do. If you're here with me because Ryan and I live together, then get lost because I don't care about it. Glad you stopped by to talk, now leave," I snapped at her. Without saying a word, she glared and stomped off to her seat.

I smirked, being proud of myself.

***

"You told her off?!" Chloe asked, surprised. "Yeah," I shrugged. "We both know she hates me, and was only there because I live with Ryan James."

She nodded, "You're right, but.. She's Sierra Anderson, you know she's gonna strike back."
"Let her," I replied. I'd like a challenge.

"So, about you and Ryan.." she smirked as my eyes widened. "What about me and Ryan..?" Play dumb, Riley.

"Don't play dumb with me, Riles."
Oh darn she caught me.
I sighed, "Okay, what?"
"I think he likes you," she stated.
I gave her a flat look, "No, Chloe. He doesn't. And I know what your question is. Do I like him? The answer is no, I do not."

She tilted her head, "Are you sure?"
I copied her movement, "Yes."

She sighed and slumped back on her seat.
"Let's go," she said as she threw her leftover food into the garbage.

We're shopping for party dresses. So far, nothing caught my eye. I didn't want anything too flashy, sparkly, or revealing. Trying to find the perfect modest dress for a high school party is, to be honest, kind of hard.

"Do you want any specific color?" Chloe asked as she looked through the racks. I shook my head, saying no.
"Any specific material? Length? Design? Style?" I shook my head as she said each one of them. At last, she groaned. "Oh, God, Riles! You're making this harder than needed."
I frowned. "How about you go look for a dress for yourself, and I'll keep looking for mine?"
She nodded and walked off to another direction of the store.

"Hi, you look a little lost, there. Do you need help finding something?" a girl, maybe 18 or 19, asked me. I read her name on her tag as Flora. I smiled at her, "Actually, yes. I'm going to this party tonight, so I need a dress. But I don't want anything flashy, something modest." She nodded, "Okay, let me show you some dresses." I followed her, and she stopped near a rack full of dresses.

She held up a pink dress for me. It had a sweetheart neck-line, and flowed down with a lace material covering the bottom half. It was okay, didn't catch my eye. I shook my head and she looked through the rack again, and held out a black and green combo dress. The bodice was covered in green lace, and the skirt flowed down in black silk. It stopped maybe upto mid-thighs. "It's pretty, but not catching my eye."

She nodded, and put that back.

However, the next dress she held up, made me grin in satisfaction.