Chapter Two

"Get both of them, we have to go, our plane is getting ready to board." Matt tells Danni who can't decide between a crossword puzzle or a word search. He goes in search of some gum. Fifteen minutes later they are on the plane. Danni is getting situated in her seat as Matt puts their carry-on's into their compartments then slides in next to his wife. He stares at her as she finishes preparing for the flight. Remembering their honeymoon and how she was so frantic because she thought she was forgetting something. Everything seemed so hopeful and bright back then. To him he feels like seven years has been fifty years. He hopes that this vacation will take them back to that bright and hopeful place. 

"What?" Danni asks catching him watching her. He smiles shyly and shakes his head, then leans his head back against the seat and closes his eyes. She watches him resting. He looks so exhausted. She remembers the day Wyatt and Bailey were born. Of course she had labored hard with both of them for two hours but he was there right by her side. Cheering her on, holding her hand, breathing with her. Once Wyatt was here Matt would crawl into her hospital bed with her and fall asleep. He'd look so peaceful. He was there for whatever she needed whenever she needed it. He would've with Wyatt, but he was tending to a one and a half year old, Wyatt at home. Maybe this trip isn't such a bad idea after all. This is the first time they've gone on a vacation just the two of them since their honeymoon. She smiles so big as she remembers their wedding day. All their family and friends were there. It was a glorious day. 

"What are you thinking about?" Matt asks.

"Do you make a habit of watching me?"

"All the time, my love. All the time."

Danni smiles at his words. They begin to take off. Matt plugs in his headphones and falls into a sleep. Danni plays with her book puzzles. 

****

Five and half hours later Danni and Matt are on the ship changing their clothes. Matt wearing beige shorts and a black t-shirt and dark brown flip flops. Danni is wearing black leggings with a pink waist band and pink tank top, black flip flops. 

"Where are our bags? They should've been here by now. I really don't want to wear this to dinner tonight. What if they lost our bags." Danni starts 

"They haven't lost our bags. Do you have any idea how many people are on this ship? I don't even know but there's a lot. With a lot of people there's double the luggage. They are probably still sorting it all. I'm sure it'll be here before dinner. Now come on we gotta go do the safety thing that's on top deck." Matt reasons.  The safety course goes over how to properly secure life vests, what would happen in the case of emergency and having to abandon ship. The course is over in forty five minutes. Matt and Danni decide to go on a tour and figure out where everything is. The swimming pool, a spa, there's a restaurant, and a bar on the top deck. The pool has a separate swim up bar, they find the dinning hall on the main deck, there's six restaurants. The ship has a movie and live theater on deck five. 

"Do you care if I go back to the room to take a nap before dinner?" Matt asks

"Seriously, we just got here and you want to take a nap? You slept on the plane, how much sleep do you need?" 

"Then what do you want to do? You could come with me. It's a vacation Danni we can do anything you want. We have a week and half to do everything on the ship. Let's go rest up and go have a nice dinner and then we can check out the bar, or go swimming or whatever else you want to do." Matt goes over to massage Danni's shoulders.

"It's day one of our vacation. No kids, no responsibilities, it's just us. To be carefree for a week and a half. We haven't had time for just each other in two years and four months. Can we go back there? To when it was just us? Danni we need this to work. I want this to work. Don't you want it to?"

Danni turns around to face her husband looking lost in his eyes. She doesn't know where to start. She can't find the words. 

"I am kind of tired now that you mention it." She smiles. Matt takes her by the hand and together they go to their room to take a much needed love session followed by a much needed nap.