Chapter 10

Danni could barely hear the words the doctor was saying. She was so shaken and heart broke. She had thought this was going to be a new beginning for Matt and her. That everything was going to be fine. The head injury he had received on the ship caused brain bleeding which caused significant damage. Ryan had stepped forward and mentioned how much aspirin he had taken and the day's of work he had missed or left work early because of his head aches. They have stopped the bleeding and are unsure if Matt will ever wake up or fully recover. Why hadn't he told her sooner. Why had he waited? The next forty eight hours would tell Matt's story the doctor informed her. Danni decided to stay with him and to send the kids with Rebecca. She wouldn't leave his side for the next forty eight hours. She hoped and prayed and silently begged  that some how he would pull through. Derrick brought Danni a change of clothes and a bag for the next couple of days. After everyone had gone home a nurse showed Danni to Matt's room. She nearly collapsed when she saw him hooked up to all those machines and a breathing tube in his mouth. She walked over and sat beside him.

"You... you said you'd never leave me. You promised you'd never leave me. I don't know if you can hear me but you come back... Right now... I need you, the kids need you. We just got our second chance. Don't let it go. You're the only love I've ever known. I'm not ready to lose you. You fight this Mattie, fight like you've never fought before. You don't give up. We have our whole life ahead of us. We have two kids to raise and to watch them fall in love and get married and have babies of their own. Then it can be me and you again. Don't you dare leave. Don't leave me and don't leave these kids. Don't leave them..... Don't leave.... just don't leave!!!" Danni burst into tears and buried her head in Matt's chest. 

"How am I supposed to leave you? How am I supposed to let you go? You are the only love I have ever known. The only one I can trust with my secrets. You are my best friend. We had this talk but I never thought it'd be so soon before I'd have to make the decision.  Come back.... come back to me..... please... Mattie... please come back..I love you...." Danni begs. But there is no response. She sleeps in the chair next to his bed holding his hand and not letting it go all night.

                                                                                                *******

Danni spends the next forty eight hours talking to Matt about their future. She has refused the kids to come see Matt. They shouldn't see their father this way. About eight o'clock the doctor comes in with Cindy and John. 

"Danni, honey, we think it's time to let Matt go."

"No.... Are you serious? No. I get to determine that. I think he needs more time. He'll get better. Won't you baby." She pats his arm

"Mrs..... Matt's scans haven't improved. They most likely will not. We can leave Matt on life support for more another day or so but that will only prolong the outcome. He won't get any better."

"You don't know that.... He just needs more time...."

"Danni..... it's time. He signed the documents that you and I were to determine his fate. He knew you'd have a hard time deciding. We'll give you a moment." John said. He and Cindy walk out with tears in their eyes. 

"They can't do this... Right?"

"Unfortunately they are correct ma'am. They have right."

"No! I forbid it!" Danni proceeds to throw a tantrum and the doctor calls in security. Danni begins to become distraught. Security has to lift her and carry her out of the room. She begins to scream for Matt. His machines start to go haywire. Making noises and his body begins to shake violently once Danni is out of the room. The doctor calls for assistance. Danni is fighting to be free.

"No! You can't do this! Matt!!!!!! Matt you have to wake up!!!!!! Matt!!!!!!" She screams and then she just sobs. Just as security is about to board the elevator John comes running up to them.

"Danni!!!! Come quick!!!" John and Danni dash down the hall.

"Danni!!!!! Danni!!!! I'm here!!!! I'm here baby!!! I'm here!!!!" The screams get louder and louder as the approach. Danni makes it to the door way.

"He fought so hard....."

"What?! No! I heard him... I let me see him!" Danni demands.

"He fought so hard...... to wake up...." The doctor said once Danni's eyes land on Matt laying in his bed with a breathing mask on. He was awake. 

"Oh god!!!! Oh Matt!" Danni ran for him and climbed up on his bed. She didn't care if she were allowed to or not. She just knew she had to get to Matt.

"I thought I lost you!" She sobs

"I thought I lost you!" He replies as he holds her.

"I heard you.... I heard every word... I fought so hard Danni. They say it almost killed me I fought so hard. I'm here baby and I'm not going anywhere."