Level 4

You awoke on the kitchen floor, still clutching onto Sans' shirt. The knife was still in its corner where Sans had kicked it and he was sleeping soundly, his head burrowed in your shoulder. You watched as the fabric of his shirt rose and fell like the flow and ebb of the tide. It seemed odd to you, that a skeleton would be breathing, but you narrowed it down to magic and left it at that.

Trying to shift from under Sans, you slowly wriggled out of his grasp in order to not wake him up, however his skull moved and his eyes opened.

"Hm? Sorry about that", Sans said, letting go of you. "Guess I didn't want ya to be abone last night".

You didn't laugh.

The memories of the night came crawling back to you; the knife, the attempted reset, and Sans' terrified expression. You felt terrible that Sans had to enter his kitchen to see his guest sitting on his floor trying to kill themselves. And now that you think about it, you really should have been more considerate of the way Sans would have felt if he saw you dead on his floor, especially since you were just testing out a theory. Then you remembered what Sans had said.

"Hey Y/N, you okay?"

You wanted to ask him about resetting. You wanted to ask him so badly, but you resisted for his sake.
You nodded your head and smiled.

"Yeah... Sorry about last night.  I didn't mean to give you a scare", you replied earnestly. Sans hesitated a bit before he finally held your hand and assisted you in standing up. You looked at him, suddenly feeling oddly comforted by his little gesture. You've been feeling quite strange ever since yesterday. Actually, you've felt a strange attachment to Sans ever since you two met which was unusual considering that he was a monster.

He held your gaze and there you two stood, hand in hand, not saying a word. He seemed as if he wanted to say something desperately important but in that moment a noise sounded from upstairs and Papyrus' booming voice could be heard from the kitchen.

"SANS WHERE ARE YOU? HAVE YOU ALREADY GONE TO WORK? AH WAIT NO ITS IMPOSSIBLE THAT YOU WOULD GO TO WORK THIS EARLY", Papyrus was looking inside Sans' room for his brother.

"I'm in the kitchen, bro".

It wasn't long before you saw Papyrus' tall, lanky body walking towards the entrance. He was looking at you and Sans, and you suddenly remembered that you two were still interlocking fingers. You quickly dropped Sans' hand just as Papyrus made it to the kitchen.

Although Sans seemed a bit hurt at the notion, he quickly recovered, plastering on his trademark smile before his brother arrived.

"HUMAN! DID YOU SLEEP WELL? MY BROTHER TOLD ME THAT YOU SAVED HIM FROM SOME THUGS ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF TOWN SO IT APPEARS THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY A NICE HUMAN! THUS I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, DECIDED NOT TO CAPTURE YOU ANYMORE AND INSTEAD WE SHALL BE FRIENDS!" 

You slowly turned to Sans, a "what-the-hell" expression clear on your face. The skeleton beside you didn't even notice your evident confusion. He just stared straight ahead in order to not face your impending disapproval. Sighing, you decided to play along with Sans' blatant lie and hope for the best.

"Y-Yup! I totally saved him alright...", you said, glaring at Sans. "And sure, let's all be friends", you smiled at Papyrus and you could just see the joy written on his face.

"OH BOY! LOOKIE SANS! I ALREADY MADE A FRIEND! AND IT'S WITH A HUMAN!"

You hugged Papyrus.

"Well if we're going to be friends, you have to at least know my name. I'm Y/N".

"Y/N? WHAT A NICE NAME FOR A HUMAN! WELL IF YOU DON'T MIND ME, I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, HAVE TO SEE UNDYNE FOR SOME EXTRA TRAINING! GOODBYE SANS AND Y/N!"