Chapter 19 - Syianne

19 - Syianne

I like the swish of the fabric of my skirt as I move and the muffled sound my black boots make on the ground when I walk. I focus on these things and not on what is waiting for us in room 551. We pass through the large sliding doors of the main dome, entering the vast open space of its reception hall – or whatever it is, I heard some people refer to it as "the Portal". There's a big round glass elevator at the centre of the hall and a long line of Jewels dressed in silver jumpsuits waiting to fill it. I pause to watch as the full elevator sinks into the floor and vanishes out of sight. Cello touches the small of my back and steers me towards a very different kind of elevator.

"Do you think it's because we're self-destructive?" I ask in the silence and privacy of the empty office elevator.

"You mean, because we're drawn to the Zephyr even though we know it's dangerous?"

I nod.

"And the thought of never going in is... depressing."

I nod again.

Cello shrugs "I don't know. I can't even pretend to know myself anymore." His words make a shiver run down my spine. We have both become strangers to ourselves. It's creepy but also sad. The elevator doors open with a cheerful ding and we step out into the maze of office corridors above the Zephyr. We don't speak as our feet pad quietly over the carpeted floor while we search for room number 551.

A curly haired secretary looks up from her computer screen when we walk in through the open door of the office. She's somewhere in her thirties, with bony wrists and a gaunt face. Naturally, she's an Undefined. "Morning," she says in a flat voice as we step up to the desk.

"Good morning," we both say in unison.

She picks up a tablet from her desk and taps it several times. "Cello Riles," she reads and looks up at Cello who nods. "Door on my left," she casually points to one door on her left.

"Ss..." she wrinkles her forehead, "Saline Locke?"

"Syianne," I correct her; I'm used to people getting my name wrong in a variety of ways.

"You're to go to room 553, just next door."

I hesitate and so does Cello. I'm suddenly nervous to be separated from him, even though I shouldn't be. Cello Riles didn't exist in my world until two days ago, I was alone when I came here and I can't allow myself to fear facing this on my own. He grins at me and ruffles my hair, "Stop looking like you've swallowed a lemon." I glare at him when he pinches my cheek.

But I feel better, well enough to turn away from him and walk back out into the corridor. I knock on the door of room 553.

"Enter," a man's voice comes from within. I turn the knob and walk inside.

Sagastus looks up at me with one pale blue expressionless glass eye, and one equally cold brown eye.

His gaze freezes me in the doorway.

"Please be seated, Syianne Locke," he says.

Oh boy.

*

The silvery metal chair has a black cushioned seat and I press my hands into the rough fabric. I'm sitting on the back of my palms — it's as if the weight of my body on my hands will hold me from bolting to the door. I stare up at Sagastus with wide unblinking eyes.

Yesterday, before the whole Core, I felt calm and brave. It was because of the mixture of emotions in the room. Some were against me and others were pleasantly curious. I also felt stronger because I wasn't alone. Cello was there to defend me, to protect me. My thoughts fly to him, wondering who he's meeting in the other room. I pass my mind's eye over every single face I can recall.