Chapter 28 - Syianne

28 - Syianne

I space out during the entire ride to Erdry. Why did he have to tell me to be careful? What I find hardest to cope with is when Cello can be so caring and insulting at the very same time. When someone tells you to be careful, that usually means that they're worried about you. But he obviously meant that I have to be careful of something in particular, and if that something is Artus, he's got several mixed notions of what's dangerous and what isn't.

By the time I enter Erdry and climb the stairs to the stands, I conclude that Cello's parting words were probably referring to all the trouble with the riots. I manage to forget about it when I see Karnus and Nita sitting down in the front row and even about the fact that we're in Rockdem and everything that's happened to me in the past week: their open smile is like home to me. There's nothing like a familiar face in a new place to give you a feeling of confidence.

A feeling of confidence that crumbles to dust the moment I spot Artus's best friend, Vencit Frey and the expression he has when he sees me.

"What's up, Locke?" he greets me, using the same manner he always did with me — keeping a safe but friendly distance. Only now I understand that I've already gotten used to a different kind of life. I have Cello, Fellin, Minty and also Kaitha, there's something different. Among them, I'm not an alien being. Even if some of the other Jewels I've met aren't exactly nice to me — they and I, we're the same.

Unlike me and the rest of the world.

Vencit gestures at me, "I see you're all suited up."

"I see you and Art made up."

He smirks, "Can't stay mad at him forever. I'm surprised you even noticed."

"I notice more things than you realise," I cock my head toward the green field and purposefully don't look at him when I ask my next question. "What did you fight about anyway?"

"Art is my best friend; I had to show him I care."

"About what?"

"Him," he sticks his hands into his pockets and looks at the field as well, "No one else was telling him anything about it so it had to be me."

"It?" I know where this is going, but I guess I'm masochistic — I have to allow myself to get stabbed and for the knife to be twisted.

"Sorry, Locke."

I remind myself that Vencit isn't a bad person. If I were him, I'd probably do the same. I fold my arms behind my back as he speaks so that he can't see my clenched fists. "Art likes you as if his life depends on it. I just don't want to see him get hurt, and you too, what's the point?"

"There doesn't have to be a point." I don't know how I manage to keep my voice so steady and calm, but that's always been my gift. "That's what's beautiful about being in love."

He lifts his hand as if he's about to pat me on the back, but then freezes midair. That's right Vencit, I'm an Untouchable.

"Lucky thing is, I don't think it'll last," he says, sticking his hand back in his pocket.

I don't reply and keep my chin pointed at the field. Vencit is right, of course, it won't last very long. Because I've already made my resolution, I've decided that our relationship ends today. Someone like me can never have a human sort of love. I'll always be dragging Artus down as long as he's tied to me. He won't accept this easily. If I tell him the true reason I want to end things, he'll push it off. That's why I have to lie, and there's only one lie I can think of that'll make him back away.

And until then, I want to linger in this moment and watch him play as if we're two best friends still living in Sobortis. This is just a high school game, and I'm the quiet observer. Although there are hundreds of people sitting all around me, he picks me out of the audience and sends several smiles my way. I don't smile back, because with every one of his smiles I feel like my heart is breaking.