Chapter 2 - Edward Nygma

I woke up before him the next morning. His breathing so even. A soft smile on his softer lips. I sighed lightly. I really didn't want to get up for work... He lifted his head off my chest.

"Why, good morning," Ossie said slightly groggily. His smile widened as he looked in my eyes. I think he just remembered what happened yesterday evening.

"Good morning, handsome," I said still a little giddy that he said yes.

He giggled and gently shoved me before rolling off the bed and saying, "Get up. We both have jobs out there in the real world." I sighed. "I know, I know," he said, "I don't want to go either, but if I'm late again Mooney is gonna kill me..."

I sighed again, but at least made an attempt to get up. "Don't make me tickle you again!" Ossie said from the closet. My eyes shot open and I quickly rolled out of bed. So fast, I almost fell to the floor. My little Penguin laughed at me as we got dressed.

~~~

"I'll see you later, my Riddle-Man," Ossie said sweetly as I stepped out of the car.

"After work?" I asked to make sure I had a ride. He nodded before I closed the door and he drove off.

Miss Mooney is so unfair to him... Always has been, but he loves his job. I've tried to make him quit, but he loves that damn newspaper... Not that I don't love his stories, he's an amazing writer, but he could work anywhere else...

I turned around to face my own job. I've been at Gotham City Police Department for a few years now. They hired me straight out of college. I've tried to make a few friends here and there, but no one really likes the science nerds.

I walk through the front door and see a few officers standing around eating donuts (typical). "Good morning, gents," I greeted them with a smile as I walked by.

I went to my office, tucked in the back corner of the station, and grabbed a few files before heading to see Mr. Bullock and Mr. Gordon.

"Good morning, friends," I greeted with a huge grin. I played with the files in my hands as they responded.

Jimmy gave me a smile smile along with a, "Morning, Ed." Harvey asked, "No riddles?" I shook my head.

"Not right now. I wanted to tell you something." My smile never faded or faltered. "He said yes!"

They both smiled honest smiles. They were happy for me. James said, "I'm happy for you guys. I bet ol' Cobblepot is so happy." His smile faltered. Why? Harvey just clapped my shoulder and said, "Well, didn't think you had it in you. Good job. Send me an invitation." I nodded.

I handed them the files about the Jane Doe they told me to look into before heading back to the lab for more tests.

~~~

After a while, I needed some fresh air, so I walked outside into the bright light of day and took a deep breath. Everything was so clean and light. It almost washed away the nightmares... Almost...

~~~

After lunch, another body came in. Something was off... I leaned down and starting sniffing.

"Ed, quit sniffing the dead guy," Lee, my partner, said as she walked in.

"Why?" I asked in response. She sighed before explaining to me how gross it was.

I swear I smelled something...

~~~

The day was over for me. I was just waiting for my Penguin. He pulled up after a few minutes. He rolled down the passenger side window and smiled at me before he said, [.............]