Chapter Eleven

I wiggled my toes enthusiastically. My casts were off and i was ready to begin building up my muscles again. Since the fractures in my legs hadn't been serious, I had only had casts on for two and half weeks but my muscles still felt a little shakey to me.

 I knew that my mom was nervous about me walking again. She was sure that I was going to fall down the stairs and break my neck or run into things endlessly. Maybe she was right but I would deal with that later.

I was a little worried myself but my concerns involved a certain male figure who I hadn't heard from in two days. I was also supposed to be going to the male figure's house tomorrow night. I made a mental note to myself to call Tony the minute I got home.

My thoughts were then interupted by the doctor. He said,

"Now Erin. I know that you are going to be itching to get up and moving but you're going to have to take it slow." I groaned out loud, knowing that I was going to struggle with that. He contiued, "We don't want you to obtain any more injuries. Since you are new to walking without eyesight, you may be prone to bruises for a while." Doc set something metal in my hand and I raised an eyebrow expectantly.

"My very own...twirling baton?" I asked sarcastically.

"No. It's a walking stick."

"A cane?" I asked, not liking the idea very much.

"Sort of. It will help you move around easier." I waved it around a bit, testing it out. I had seen blind people in movies tapping the ground with them and I figured that's what I wa supossed to do with this thing.

"Can I try it out?"

"Of course," the doctor said. He helped me off the exam table. I sucked in a breath as my feet touched the ground. He informed me,

"It's normal for them to be a little wobbly at first." I nodded my head and tapped the pole on the pole on the floor. With each click I could tell that no obstacle lay in that direction. I took a step forward and stopped when the pole hit something, I guessed to be a chair. I redirected myself and continued forward, tapping my stick on the floor. I reached a wall and ran my finger along it, trying to find the door. When I found it, I asked the doctor,

"Am I good to go?"

"Yep, that should be all. I'll walk you out." Slowly we made our way to the front desk where my mother was waiting for me. I walked, unassisted all the way and by the time we got there, I was practically exploding with pride. The doctor explained the same things to my mother and we left the hospital. I called Bree and my mother treated us both to milkshakes and French fries. For that moment I felt like the same girl I had been before the accident. I didn't worry about my future, Tony, or being normal and it was the greatest feeling in the world.

                                                                       ********************

When we arrived back at home Bree stayed for dinner. She would most likely end up staying the night, but those plans were usually last minute anyway. Bree suddenly burst out,

"Oh! I almost forgot! I brought you something!" I frowned.

"Bree! The angel was already too much! I just want to hang out! No more-" She slapped her hand over my mouth to shut me up.

"Too bad!" She said, "I already got them." She shoved a gift bag into my hands. I sighed loudly to show my exhasperation but I reached in through the tissue paper. I pulled out a clump of plastic items. Before I could identify them, she squealed,

"Sunglasses!"

"Sunglasses?" I asked, not quite getting it.

"Yeah! Like in the movies where the blind people have awesome sunglasses and the little cane thingy! Isn't it great!?" I grinned widely and laughed. I pulled a pair out of the clump. I put them on and ran my finger around the edges, trying to figure out what shape they were.

"Aviators?" I asked and Bree said,

"Yep! They're purple!" I pulled them off my face and put on another pair. Bree exploded into laughter. I traced the shape and knew imediately that they were star-shaped. I laughed along with my bestfriend and she said between laughing fits.

"Silver...shiny... You look like a rockstar!" And we both laughed until tears ran down our faces.

For the first time since the accident I was absolutely, undoubtedly sure that I was going to be fine.

                                                                                  ****************

To those of you still reading this, I'm terribly sorry for the long wait. It has to be at least 2 months since my last update due to a combination of writers block and extreme lack of motivation :S I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm going to do my best to upload more chapters to redeem myself. Feedback is much appreciated! (: