I Do It For Avory: Prologue

---Prologue---

It was the dead of the night when mom went to the pharmacy. leaned against the toilet as dad held back my hair. The whole time, he remained quiet and I was dying for him to say something. I wanted him to say it would be all right but he didn't say anything. Probably because everything wasn't going to be alright. This wasn't supposed to happen, I was supposed to stay home that night, I wasn't supposed to end up pregnant. "I'm scared dad," I cried. Everything was pointing to "Hey, you're pregnant." In the last couple weeks, I've gained a strange craving for tomatoes and I hated tomatoes. I also gained a few pounds over the last three weeks and, of course, I was throwing up. Yeah, I was pregnant, I was sure of it.

And sure enough, mom came home with the pregnancy test. She was as scared as I was because she didn't wanted her baby, her teenage daughter, having a kid. But, when she gave me the pregnancy test and I went into the bathroom, she gave me a look that signified that I was no longer a teenager in her eyes. I was an adult that was going to make a life changing choice if this tested positive. And, sure enough, it tested positive.

Silent tears rolled down mom's face as I stood there in shock. No, it was more like denial. I was thinking that there must have been a mistake. I mean, why would I get pregnant? I had bigger dreams in the future, I knew better yet, there I was, pregnant. "Mom," I whimpered. "Mom what do I do? I can't take care of a baby. I can't provide for it." Many things ran through my head: that baby barefoot, the baby without clothes, the baby without food. I couldn't make enough to support two people and I didn't want my parents paying for two more people.

"Before we do anything," dad began. "We have to let the father know. Who's the father, Sophia?"

That was more like a rhetorical question rather than a real one. He knew who the father was: Ethan Mcallehy. Ethan had been my boyfriend for two weeks before I got pregnant. But it was solely my fault, I knew that. Mom and dad always wanted the best from me and they never let me go to parites. Ethan was throwing a party at his house so I snuck out that night. When I got there, everyone was drinking and smoking so I was going to leave. But my friend Ami told me to have at least one drink. One thing led to another and next thing I knew, I was in bed with Ethan who was also drunk.

"Is it Ethan," mom asked. I nodded and she dropped her head into her hands. She never liked Ethan because of his party animal ways. Now, I could see why. "Well we have to tell him." Dad nodded in agreement as I stood there helpless. The last thing I wanted to do was to tell Ethan that I was pregnant with his kid.

___________________________________________________________________________________

The mall cafeteria was farely empty when I arrived but that didn't keep people from staring. It had been two weeks and my stomach wasn't that noticeable. During those two weeks, I had been trying to get a hold of Ethan but he was so busy with basketball practice that it was nearly impossible. By the time I made the date to meet up, I was five weeks.

Whenever Ethan and I met up, he'd give me a long hug and this hug was pretty awkward. Partly because telling him was on my mind and the other was because I thought he could feel my stomach. He did and made a comment no girl should ever be told, "Wow, you gained a few pounds."

"Uh, no-"

"But who cares," he interrupted. "You can puke out the extra pounds at that one amusement park you've always wanted to go to." My mouth hung open as he smirked at my, what seemed to him, astonishment. Can you believe this? I've begged and nagged this kid to take me to this park across town and he decides to take me after I get pregnant. What do people call that? Irony, I think. "You better go because my dad wanted me to work for the tickets."