Chapter 1 - First Visit

The small scrape of the brakes on my car echoed through the woodly area surrounding the home that I had come to have purchased. From the windshield it looked rather worn down and old. The grass wasn't at all green, and the paint on the walls of the place were starting to peal off and leave behind a dark brown base. There was a small stream of water that ran along the left side down towards the road behind me, and it would have looked nice if it wasn't for the dark colour of the water, almost as if this place has been abandoned for centuries.

It sent a chill down my spine just looking at the thing, and I felt the need to turn back, but why should I? There was nothing that can't be fixed, so I'll just do that to give it a more lively appearance. That would work, after all I have some left over money since this place came at a cheaper price. The moving van would be here shortly, so I decided to take a small tour around the inside to get a better look on the work that may need to be done.

The inside wasn't any better than the out. It was practically falling apart! The wallpaper was coming off, there were large spots on the floor, and even the ceiling looked as if it was going to collapse in on itself. As my eyes strained to see what else there was, my hands began to search for a light switch. It appears that this place needed a lot more work than I had expected. A few minutes passed by and I had finally felt the familiar curve of a switch, and as I flicked it on, the lighting was in need of much repair. Lights were flickering above and some didn't even turn on.

This was starting to bug me since I was hoping for a more cleaner household by the pictures I had seen on the website. A sigh escaped my lips as I wandered around a bit more before hearing the sound of brakes outside.

I turned around quickly and rushed out to meet the bearded man driving the truck.

"Zachary Fellīne?" He asked with a rather strong southern accent. I nodded once in reply and he held out a clipboard to my face. "Nothing was lost, sign here."

After the drama with the unloading of packages, I had stood in the middle of the living room with my arms folded in front of my torso. I couldn't start unpacking until this place was cleaned up, so I started to get to work.

~~~***~~~

I had finally gotten a decent start in the finishing touches for at least the furniture to go down, but I only unraveled the sofa from the plastic cover. It was about 11:27 PM, and I was starting to get very tired, so I laid down on the couch and let my eyes fall shut, slowing drifting off.

~~~***~~~

I woke with a start as I heard a loud creeking noise come from above me, and my heart skipped a beat as I heard it suddenly stop as I awoke. Another sigh escaped my lips and I relaxed once more, thinking it to be my imagination. There couldn't possibly be another person here, all that mumbo-jumbo about paranormals  and poltergeists is just a myth, so why jump? No reason. I shut my eyelids again and drifted off once more, noticing that the loud pitter-patter of footsteps had never accrued again that night.