Chapter 2 - shADoWS

It's been about a week or two since I bought the house, and so far everything going well. Refurbishing the place is taking a while since I'm not actually here for most of it. I'm usually at work, but I finally was able to set up all the furniture and allow myself to feel more at home.

It was nice here. Everything is so...beautiful. I don't understand why a place like this would go on sale for such a low pri-actually...the idea that this place maybe so old since it looked really worn down when I first arrived.

Anyways, so it's pretty late right now, about 10:30 at night, and I am doing a bit of investigating to see what may have been left behind. Like a piano or something like that. However, the only thing I found really was an old computer in the spare bedroom in the top floor, and it looked as though no one has used it in years.

I got curious and started the system and it didn't even ask for a password, just went straight to the home screen. Odd. I looked at the background and it was a picture of an oddly shaped star with a circle around it...a pentagram...

At the sight I shivered and wanted to leave, but I ignored it and kept staring at the screen. The only thing that I could actually find was a single window titled "ShADoWS" literally made to look ominously creepy. I scrolled the curser over the icon and double clicked it with a hesitant pause. It loaded up rather quickly, and the first thing that popped up was a Command Prompt like window that filled the screen, and in red colour text it said "Hello, player."

Player? What kind of reference is that? If you which to say Hello get rid of "player" after it as if It was my name. The system seemed to be an AI unit and it had a response key at the bottom. I began typing quickly.

"My name is not 'Player.'"

There was a small pause and then a quick change and a new text.

"Alright, If you say so."

I rolled my eyes. Obviously this thing had been programmed by a young adult or even teenager. Once again I typed a response.

"What is this?"

Stupid question, but I just wished to see how it responded.

"I am shADoWS."

It responded with the title of the icon, and I sighed in a bit of boredom as I was chatting back and forth with this AI.

"What exactly are you?"

"A simple program. What are you?"

"Human. An Itellectual being."

"Is that so?"

"yes."

"Well then what's it like? Out in the world?"

I paused at the question. How in the world was this AI programmed exactly? It asked the strangest question I've ever seen. What's it like?

"It's...ok. It has its moments."

"Oh, and I'm guessing the house is one perk? A new one?"

I paused again, and blinked hard before processing what it just said. I don't remember tellig it about the house! How does it know?! Coincidence, I think not! I scrambled to type once again, and I stared at the screen and waited for an answer.

"How do you know about the house? I never told you about it."

There was a long pause before the computer finally responded back, and I jumped as I read it.

"There is lots that I know, Zachary."

I shut the computer off and exited the room, eyes wide. It knew my name, and it knew about the new purchase of the house. I didn't give it any of that information, and yet it knew. This was freaking me out, but it must have been because I am quite tired. I walked to my bedroom and laid down, letting the conversation drift out of my head before drifting off myself.