Prologue- Photo of Ginny

Graciously Ginny

Prologue

April 16th, 1899

~~

Ginny Wade woke up bright and early with a smile on her face; Today was finally the day she had been dreaming about for so long. She would- in only a matter of hours- be Mrs. Fergus O'Reilly.

She had fallen for Fergus when she was still in pigtails. He was five and a half years her senior and he had come to work at her family's ranch when he was barley fifteen, she had always liked him but figured he'd prefer her sister Julie just as so many others had. When she found out he preferred her, she was never happier.

She slipped into her wedding dress, figuring her mother would do her hair and help her button the rest of the buttons. The dress was made by her Aunt December- at her request- with Irish lace. She thought it would please Fergus, though he had left Ireland when he was only seven, she knew he still missed it.

She practically skipped over to the vanity smiling as her mother Scarlett came into the room "Well how do I look?" she asked turning towards her.

"Virginia, Honey" she said with a solemn expression on her face "Sit down, we need to talk."

"Mama, is everything alright?" Ginny asked realizing how very unlike her mother this was. Her mother usually had a smile on her face and a sparkle in her eye, but today her light gray eyes seemed saddened and she bit her lip nervously.

"I don't know how to say this..." Scarlett said twisting her hands together "Last night there was an accident... and Fergus, h-he... "Her mother stopped as tears started to fall, she met her gaze once more "Honey Fergus was killed."

"No" Ginny said not believing the words, she had seen him just last night before he went with his brothers and friends to enjoy his last night as a single man. "No, it can't be!" She said shaking her head.

"But it is... a drifter shot him in the saloon last night. I'm so sorry Ginny, we just got word of it."

"Today is our wedding day..." Ginny said starting to cry as she realized it was true, Fergus was gone, and they'd never get to share a life together like they planned.

"I know honey" Her mother said pulling her into a tight hug "I'm so sorry."

Fergus was one of the most handsome men she had ever seen, His hair was a dark auburn and his eyes were dark green. His smile was heartfelt and attractive and knowing that she'd never again see him, or talk to him, or kiss him left her feeling completely empty.

She looked down at the dress Fergus never got to see her in as she started to cry even more. Why had this happened? He was a great man, a hard worker and he always seemed to make people smile. It should have been her instead of him.

She heard her mother call for her two older sisters Lindy and Julie, her Aunt December and her cousin Ariel came into the room as well and they sat around her holding on to her as her whole world shattered around her. Try as she might she couldn't keep the tears from falling. Everyone had come for their wedding, her whole family and Fergus' family.

"The wedding..." She said sadly as lay down in her bed.

"Don't you worry we'll take care of It." her Aunt December said kissing her on the forehead before leaving the room.

"I'll be right back." her mother said as she too left the room.

"I am so sorry Ginny." Julie said taking her hand, her sister was only ten months older than her and had recently gotten engaged to Lawson Jasper, they had grown up with Lawson and his older brother Levi had married Lindy four years ago.