Chapter Eight

Dedicated too @ArabellaFaircloth for her kind words!! Also the side banner on the side, is made by me

Graciously Ginny

Chapter Eight

~~

Thomas sighed as he leaned back in his chair; he was being a coward hiding from his own wife in town. He stood pushing away from his office desk and made his way to the window that overlooked the small main street when he saw her.

Ginny- she looked even more beautiful than when he'd seen her last, He hair fell from her bun in ringlets around her face as she stopped suddenly to let Wilhelmina on her back carrying her in a piggyback fashion across the road and onto the boardwalk. She laughed whole-heartily at something her cousin said as he joined her with Lorelei on his shoulders.

He watched wishing it was him making her laugh, wishing it was him bonding with his daughters. He watched as they walked passed and went towards the mercantile.

He followed almost mindlessly feeling the need to see her, to talk to her even if she got angry at him, he didn't care. He didn't even grab his coat or tie on his way out.

He got to the store just in time. To see Mrs. Roberts corner Ginny. He frowned as he stepped closer to hear what she was saying.

"No hold on just a minute Lady-"Gideon said but was cut off by Mrs. Roberts.

"This is my store and I have the right choose whom I serve and I will not serve harlots like her-"

Thomas stepped forward at that "Mrs. Roberts" he said in a booming voice "Surely you aren't speaking ill of my Wife Virginia Clayton here and in front of our daughters no less."

"Your wife?" Mrs. Roberts asked with wide eyes "But she is the governess, Mrs. Williams said that Ginny- "

"Never mind what Mrs. Williams said! Mrs. Clayton is my wife meaning she is now co-owner of this establishment, you will not address her so rudely nor so informally again or we might have to seek others to run this store, maybe others who are far more professional and don't listen to town gossip..."

Mrs. Roberts turned bright red as she looked from Ginny to Gideon to Thomas.

"I am terribly sorry Mrs. Clayton... I've got to go." she said before leaving them, she ran in the direction of her personal courters.

"Thomas you didn't have too-"

"Of course I had too, you're my wife now Ginny I will not allow anyone to be rude to you."

Gideon smiled brightly and held out a hand "You have officially earned my respect Mr. Clayton."

Thomas smiled and shook his hand. Ginny crossed her arms almost in protest, honestly was there no pleasing this woman?

"Thank you" She said "But I can take care of myself."

Thomas nodded "I have no doubt about that Ginny, but the point is now you don't have too."

~~ ~

Ginny looked up into Thomas's dark brown eyes, she liked how he stood up for her but she didn't need to rely on someone else, she couldn't not after what happened with Fergus. She couldn't let herself go through the heartbreak again, especially not with someone like Thomas. He was unreliable and a complete workaholic who didn't spend time with his daughters.

Not to mention he enjoyed spending his nights in the saloons doing God knows what.

"Um..." Gideon said uncomfortable "Why don't we go look at the candy girls?" He ushered Wilhelmina and Lorelei away before they could even reply.

"Are you angry?" Thomas asked looking at her like he'd never looked at her before, his eyes were warm, and he had a smile curving his lips ever so slightly.

"Are you finding joy in my anger?" Ginny asked crossing her arms even though she wasn't angry with him, she was more angry with herself.

"Maybe" He said lowering his voice for only her ears "You're quiet becoming when you're angry."

Ginny could feel the heat rise to her cheeks, had he just complimented her?

"Mr. Clayton that was awfully forward of you..." She said still stunned. His smile grew and he started to laugh causing her to blush to deepen "What's so funny?" she asked.

"Nothing, I apologize for being so forward Mrs. Clayton." He said with a teasing smile. She knew it was a humorous situation, they were husband and wife and yet she was accusing him of being forward.

Ginny simply nodded not knowing exactly what to say the way he looked at her made her heart do flip-flops.

"Shall we join the others? Perhaps we could get lunch at the restaurant?" Thomas suggested offering her his arm.

She accepted arching her left eye brow in question.

"What?" he asked innocently.

"Why the sudden change? Don't you have work to do?" She questioned

"Weren't you the one who told me to spend time with the girls?"