Chapter Eighteen

Graciously Ginny

Chapter Eighteen

~~ ~~

As soon as Ginny cousins returned with her dog Callie and the rest of her stuff she talked Gideon into taking her back home to Kansas, he agreed happily- he wanted to see his sister Ariel again.

Ginny was already five months pregnant and it was becoming more apparent as her stomach expanded she wasn't large by any means and It was easily hidden with the right materials, but Ginny didn't care what people thought of her. She was still married, and her child was born out of love. She decided to wait before filing for a divorce.

It was going to be so different going back home to live after all that had happened. When she had left almost a year ago she was a completely different person than she was now.

She was thankful Callie was a calm dog as she laid at her feet the whole way, it took some talking to get the train conductor to agree to let her bring her dog but after she had cried he let her aboard.

Her thoughts always returned to Thomas she felt like she was seeing him everywhere, but when she'd look at the person she thought was him it turned out to be someone else. She was starting to wonder if she was going mad.

"Are you alright?" Gideon asked her as the train drew closer to home. she realized she hadn't much conversed with her cousin since they boarded the train.

"Yes, I'm... fine." She said putting a hand on her slightly swollen stomach.

He nodded, and she was thankful when he changed the subject. "Have you thought of any names?" he asked looking towards her stomach.

"I like Wade for a boy... and I've always loved the name Genevieve for a girl." She said trying to imagine what her baby would look like. She wondered if it would have Thomas deep brown eyes and blonde hair or if it would have her red hair and gray-blue eyes.

She thought of Wilhelmina and Lorelei, she wished that they'd be able to grow up with the child she thought they'd be thrilled if they had known.

Why did he and that Reba girl have to ruin everything? She hadn't seemed like the type to be a mistress, she was shy and quiet, and it was apparent that she fancied Thomas but who wouldn't? He was a handsome man, especially with his longer hair.

The thing that caught her most of guard is he hardly looked at her; he acted as if Reba was a sister or a young girl too young for him to marry. Perhaps that was just part of his act? Maybe he had become an expert at hiding his mistresses. Had he done this to Elsie as well? Did he have other women when he was with her? Or was it just with Ginny?

Did she really believe him capable of doing this to her? to their little family?

Gideon must have realized she didn't feel like talking, He opened the book he had been carrying and started to read. Just as well, she didn't feel as though she could carry on a conversation anyways. She looked out the window and tried to think on the positive side of things.

But she couldn't, she didn't understand why her life had turned out this way. She didn't understand anything anymore, just when she thought she was moving on everything went bad. She found herself wondering if it was somehow her fault.

Maybe she never should have married Thomas; maybe she never should have taken the position as governess.

After what seemed like an eternity, they arrived at the train depot. She grabbed ahold of the rope they'd been using for Callie as Gideon got their luggage. She got off the train and smiled widely as she saw her whole family standing on the platform. Her Mother stood next to Maggie, Julie and Lawson were to her right while Lindy and Levi, and little Georgie were to the left. Ariel and Nathan were a little further behind the rest of the family.

Ariel and Julie were the first to step forward. Julie hugged her as best as she could with her stomach as large as it was, she pulled away and smiled "I've got your letters" she said referring to the ones Ginny had been sending almost every week when she was staying with her Aunt and Uncle.

Julie was the only one who knew absolutely everything, she had simply told her Mother that is wasn't working out with her and Thomas and she wanted to return home, she also mentioned that she was in the family way so they wouldn't be completely shocked when they saw her.

Her Mother had written her back rather quickly telling her that she was always welcome home and they looked forward to seeing her.

"Are you alright?" Julie asked quietly "We've got you at our house tonight so we can talk about everything then."

"Thank you" she said glad her sister understood she didn't want to speak of it right at that moment.

Her mother stepped forward next hugging her tightly "Oh Ginny you look beautiful!" she said as her gray eyes searched hers "How are you feeling? Tired?"

She smiled; her mother had always been a worrier. "I'm alright Mama; Gideon was a very good travel companion."

Ariel smiled and hugged her brother again before walking over to hug Ginny "I'm glad to see you again!" she said with a sweet smile.

"Thank you Arrie, I'm happy to see you too." She said sincerely.

Ariel smiled again before she walked back over to where her husband stood holding their son Bennet. She couldn't hear what they were saying but he handed the baby to her and kissed her before going back to his office with Levi- who had done much the same with Lindy.

She wished she had that, but she needed to just focus on her baby. She needed to get settled and make clothing for it.

Everyone loaded up into wagons and Lindy, Julie and Ariel pulled her towards theirs. Gideon drove it towards the family's farm house while they all caught Ginny up on the happenings since she had last seen them.

"Someone bought livery" Lindy told her "And the old Colton place."

"That's odd" Ginny said thinking out loud "No one's lived in the Colton place for almost twenty years."

"Yes since Mrs. Colton went back east. Well it seems that someone's fixing it up."

"That's good it is a very lovely house, it would be a shame for it to go to waste." Ginny said nonchalantly, she had always loved that house- it was the largest house in the county, and it was nice and secluded on a wonderful piece of land. She used to play there when she was a child, she would sneak in the large house with Julie and they would explore it. It had such detail; she remembered thinking it was built for royalty.

Lindy's stomach was round too- she was only a month further along than Ginny was. She held onto it as the wagon hit a rut in the road.

"The baby hates riding in wagons." She said referring to her stomach.

"Do you think it'll be another girl?" Ginny asked smiling at her beautiful niece.

"I think it'll be a boy, but Levi thinks it's a girl." She told her with a laugh "What about you?"

"I'm not sure..." Ginny said running a hand over her stomach, she smiled as she felt a small fluttering inside her. As of late her baby had been moving around a lot more, at first it has scared her, it felt like a jar of butterflies had been let go inside her stomach.

"That's alright I haven't a clue what this one will be." Ariel said with a smile.

"You're pregnant?" Ginny and Julie said in unison, obviously she had already told Lindy because she just smiled at her.

"Yes... but I'm only two months along so a lot could still go wrong."

"It'll go well. You're very healthy." Lindy said with a smile "And all of us will have children close to the same age!"

Ginny smiled, she had missed being near her family. She had almost forgotten how positive Lindy was; she would give anything to have the same faith. Lindy just believed everything would work out for the best, she on the on the other hand wasn't so sure.

~~ ~~

Thomas had stood back far enough that Ginny couldn't see him. He had left Wilhelmina and Lorelei with Agda and Albert, having written Ginny many letters he never sent them and preferred to see her in person to tell her the truth.

He had talked with Reba before leaving and she had admitted her parents had been stealing money from the store along with merchandize. She also told him that her mother had been the one to come up with the plan of saying she was his mistress so Ginny would leave him and then she could marry him and her parents would be able to live well off of him for the rest of their days.

She had apologized and told him that though she did have feelings for him she could see he loved Ginny. Last he heard she had eloped with the bartended for the saloon- Jim Mumford.

He was happy for them, the poor girl needed to get away from her parents whomhad left to go back east after being fired from the mercantile.

He had arrived in Kansas before Ginny had. And so far, had not worked up enoughnerve to approach her, until today. He had been here for nearly two weeks. He madehis way to her mother's house.

He smiled when he saw her, her hair was in a bun at the top of her head withred ringlets falling around her face. She was wearing a new farm dress henoticed, it was lavender colored. But it wasn't just the color of the dressthat caught his attention it was her stomach, it was barely noticeable butthere it was a small bump.

She was pregnant. He was completelyshocked. They had spent one night together as man and wife, but that's all ittook. She looked like she was glowing, and as she smiled at her family whom shehad no doubt missed dearly he never saw her look so beautiful before.

He wondered why she hadn't told him about the baby, although she thought he hadbeen cheating so he kind of understood it, but it still hurt him.

He loved her with his whole heart, and he wanted to be with her. He wanted herby his side for the rest of his life and he would do whatever it took to makethat happen.