19 - sarcastic adjective squabbles

zach's pov

The four of us scrambled through the thick foliage, tripping on the occasional twig or root that got in our way. Somehow, Gray had found his way to the front of the group, and we heard a shaky squeal. Gray had stumbled upon the hat of a worker on the ground, which was caked with dry blood. He panted heavily when I walked up behind him and pried it from his hands. Dropping the cap, I glanced up and froze when I saw some sort of crash site ahead of us. One of the golf carts that the worker's drove around the park was smashed into a large tree trunk, but behind the disaster was what caught my eye.

A set of old steps led up to two stone-carved doors, which one wouldn't have been able to see from the thick vines that hung over it.

"Stay here," I commanded everyone who stood behind me, but of course I knew they would never stay put. They followed me up the three steps and we pushed the doors open. Inside, it was like a jungle. Leaves hung everywhere, and were there weren't leaves, there were trees and vines and everything of that sort. I picked up an old piece of wood off the ground and glanced over at Gray. "You still have those matches?"

He nodded and shakily unzipped his disgraceful fanny pack and handed me the package. "Here you go."

We walked through the brush and into another room, where my DIY torch shone onto the mural on the wall. Kiley dragged her fingers across the cool cement soundlessly, looking a bit dazed.

I led us into yet another room, which was darker than the first two. Clayton scrambled behind us and grabbed one of the many gadgets that sat gathering dust and picked up a viewfinder, yelping surprisingly when it made a noise. I snickered, earning a glare from him.

I held the torch dangerously close to a Jeep that was parked next to an identical vehicle, taking a look at its special Jurassic Park paint job. Gray stared at it.

"1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara." He recited carefully.

"You remember when we fixed up Grandpa's old Malibu, right?" I asked, knowing he definitely did. Gray never forgot anything.

"Yeah," he answered. I motioned for Clayton to help me lift the garage door, and we pushed it up, letting the heat in. Clayton, Gray, and I began trying to jumpstart the jeep, but we were all taken by surprise when Kiley returned to our side with a box of tools.

"Move out of the way, I know how to do this." She explained as she lifted the hood and then pulled out a wrench. We watched her as she tightened and loosened things for a few minutes before she closed the hood. "Try it now."

I leaned into the driver's seat and turned the ignition, hearing the angel's sing when the car started. I grabbed a huge gun off of one of the shelves and put it in the backseat.

"What are you going to do with a gun that big?" Clayton asked, rolling his eyes. I turned around and glared at him.

"Bend over and I'll show you." I threatened, hopping into the driver's seat. "Jump in."

Gray piped up from the backseat with Kiley. "I thought you failed your driver's test?"

"Eh, only the driving part," I replied wholeheartedly, stepping on the gas, which sent us jolting forward. We drove through the trees until we finally made it to a clearing, smashing through a gate that said 'Warning: 10,000 Volts.'"Okay, that's it. We're safe now."

Clayton turned around in his seat and stared at something behind us. "Go, go, GO!" He shrieked, fingers slamming the dashboard.