21 - hoskins hits the hay

gUYS IDKSBW IM PEEING OK SO I DIDNT KNOW WHO TO PORTRAY CAM AS ANDNS WJJWW GUYS. LITERALLY THOMAS BRODIE-SANGSTER IS EXACTLY WHAT I IMAGINED SO YA THATS HAPPENIN

zach's pov

The four of us were soon huddled into the back of an ambulance, and Claire sat in the front seat. The plan was to sneak up on the dinosaur and then, you know, shoot it. By all means, it didn't exactly seem like the smartest idea. But we were all out of our minds, and what do people do when they are out of their minds? They do crazy things.

We sat in silence until someone decided to break it, which happened to be Kiley. "Well, I'm tired. Wake me up when someone dies." She leaned over and rested her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes, but they sprang open when she heard the panicked hitch in Gray's breathing. "I'm just kidding, Gray. No one's going to die, okay buddy?"

He nodded, covering his face with his hands. Clayton sighed and rested a comforting hand on Gray's back, causing me to feel a bit surprised.

"You're a good guy, Clayton," I muttered, and he stared up at me, clearly confused. "I know you have a lot of walls built up, since something probably happened before, but you're a good guy."

"W-What? No, nothing happened," he spluttered weakly, trailing off and staring down at his palms like they had just turned into bloodied stumps. Clayton slowly looked back up at me, the hopelessness in his eyes being enough to make a grown man crumple in on himself in shame. He shook his head as dawning realization ruled over his emotions. "Something did happen. But it's okay, I...I'm okay. Are you guys okay?"

I nodded, and Gray reached out a hand, motioning for Clayton to hold onto it. For once, Clayton truly looked as though we had gotten through to him. Astonishment popped into his eyes, and he smiled softly and grabbed Gray's hand. "I've never had a younger brother before," Clayton said, his blue eyes shining.

"Well, now you have two," I mumbled, patting his back. He grinned at all of us, and we returned it.

Kiley piped up. "And a sister."

We laughed, but not soon after, we heard something slam on the window up front, and Claire scream. The doors to our part of the trunk opened, and a man dressed in fighting gear clung onto the rim of the door. He groaned in pain, and my heart fell when we saw why — a velociraptor from Owen's pack was attacking him. It lunged itself onto the man and began ferociously biting at him. Gray shrieked and dug his head into my side as Kiley and Clayton stared in absolute horror.

Claire slammed on the gas, causing the truck to jolt forward. The man screamed as he fell off of the edge and onto the ground, and we listened to his shrieks as the raptor bit at him over and over again.

Claire pounded on the wall that separated us from her frantically. "Just hold on back there!" she called. I hoped and prayed that we would do just that.

Suddenly, the ear-splitting screech of glass shattering tore our gazes off the double doors swinging freely in front of us. Claire screamed, and was paired with the growls of a raptor. The sound of a solid punch being thrown was heard, and Kiley pressed her ear to the wall.

"Is everything alright up there?" she asked.

"Yes and no," hollered Claire in response.

The raptor that Claire had socked was getting back up, and worse: it was headed straight for us, with an identical dinosaur next to it. I pushed myself up steadily, and then grabbed an oxygen tank off of the wall. I rolled it out onto the ground, and it shot out, hitting the dinosaur's legs. The raptors let out twin shrieks, and the first one began running, preparing to jump into the truck.