Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

flashback -

Yamaguchi was ten when his father first brought him to a camp in the forest. His father was an environmentalist - he loved the Earth, even worshipped the Nature. He's not always home due to his work so Yamaguchi was very happy then that he would be able to have a glimpse of his father's life outside of their family.

The forest was still safe then. He remembered him and his father staying outside their tent during camp nights, staring up at constellations in the sky - one of the happiest memories of his childhood. He would help his father discover and study different species of faunae and florae, and get amazed by how beautiful life in Earth is.

Then one day, when his father wasn't looking, he tried to go beyond the forest trails. That was his first shot on being adventurous at the age of ten. And look at what he found - an injured baby fox.

He immediately brought out his first aid kit and tried to soothe the whimpering baby fox. It snarled at him when he very carefully shimmied closer, almost got his tiny arm bitten off even, but for some reason the baby fox soon calmed down and let young Yamaguchi to treat his wounds.

And then another fox came. Larger this time, probably older. It snarled at Yamaguchi and the boy immediately froze, regretting his stupidity. He shouldn't have gone off without his father. Yamaguchi didn't move, can't move, and just stared back at the fox that was glaring at him. He could feel the beads of cold sweat forming on his forehead and he felt like passing out. The baby fox in his lap whimpered again and the older fox stopped snarling. Yamaguchi panicked when the fox started to walk closer to him. He closed his eyes in surrender.

I am so sorry father! I should have obeyed your orders. I should have been a good boy. Stupid Tadashi, dying at the raw age of ten. Didn't even get the chance to kiss Yui-chan. Good bye --

Yamaguchi flinched when something wet and slimy licked his cheek. He opened his eyes and there was the older fox, licking him.

Ew.

Yamaguchi hid a shudder because yes, even though he doesn't appreciate getting saliva all over his freckled face - wild animals don't brush their teeth after all. Just imagine the millions of bacteria living inside their mouth that is now on Yamaguchi's face, oh the horror - but at least he was still alive.

Young Yamaguchi just gaped at the pair of foxes, unsure of what to do next. Should he stay? Or should he start running away for his life? The older one licked the bandage Yamaguchi wrapped around the baby fox then looked at Yamaguchi's eyes for a moment. The young boy blinked when the older fox turned around and clipped its jaw around the baby fox's nape and left Yamaguchi on his place, his heart hammering inside his chest.

He let out a shaky breath of relief and started crying.

- end of flashback -

* *

"Are you sure?"

Yamaguchi stilled at the question. He wasn't entirely sure but he knew - if that even makes sense. He nodded.

Daichi sighed. "Okay." Then he stood up, "Let's call it a night. We're all tired, this has been quite a day - we need a full rest. Humans, we don't have a bed to accommodate you so I'm afraid you need to make your own make shift bed."