WHEN I OPENED MY EYES | LYA

I opened my eyes, he was laying next to me, holding my hand, his forehead pressed against mine. He was still dressed with his red shirt and black jeans, the same he was wearing last time I saw him.

It took me quite a while to recall what happened. An instant nausea suddenly hit me and I just had the time to run to the bathroom.

What happened? While cleaning myself, I remembered it all. I was heading home, saw a crowd in front of the building and I was told what happened. Something happened to Sarah... They said they slit her wrists but Sarah would have never done such a thing. It was impossible... Impossible.

I went back to the room where Tom was now sitting on the bed, his head in his hand.

He raised his head when he heard me coming and I noticed his tired eyes...

What happened...?

I remembered waking up in my bedroom with Janelle standing next to me... But why Janelle.

"Are you ok?" He asked me.

"Yeah... What happened? Where's Sarah"

He sighed and rubbed his eyes before taking my hand and drawing me closer.

"I got a call from Sarah's mother yesterday... She asked me to come to the hospital. When Mike and I got there she told us Sarah slit her wrists. She was being treated so we were waiting to see the doc. Meanwhile, I got a call from Janelle telling me that you fainted. Shortly after the doctor came to let us know that Sarah had lost a lot of blood but the wounds were not that deep."

Thank god! I sighed in relief, glad to know that she would get better.

"So she's ok?"

He looked at me with an empty look and I immediately understood something was wrong.

"What is it"

"She... Apparently, she also took a whole bunch of pills in the process. She's in a coma..."

No... No... Impossible!!!

"W... What do you mean?"

"She tried to commit suicide, Lya... She swallowed a lot of pills. Some less dangerous than the others. They managed to cleanse most it. But they said it caused some serious damaged. They asked us to go home. They said they will know more today"

I couldn't believe any of the words he said. It didn't make sense. I saw Sarah just a few days before.

"Why would she do that?" I asked, unable to hold the flow of tears that was falling from my eyes"

He held me in his arms as tight as he could. I was shocked. Unable to comprehend the turn of events. Why would Sarah do something like that? It just didn't make sense to me.

That's when I realized that I could be one of the cause of her sudden despair. I remembered what she told me last time I saw her and it started to come together.

'You took the only person I had left away from me'

That was what she told me a few days ago. Could it be it? Could it be what made her giving up on all hopes?

"I'm sorry I was not with you when you passed out..." Tom said while caressing my cheek, making me snap out of my reflection.

"I'd rather know you at the hospital... I'm OK..."

I looked at his tired face and his sad expression. None of us of OK, I knew that much. We were probably both thinking about the same thing, and desperately hoping that day would be better than the day before.