[41]. Hearing Problems

I have a hearing problem. It's not enough of a deficiency to be considered a disability but my 35% overall hearing loss did keep me out of military service with both the United States Navy and the Army. I try to let people know that I don't hear well when I first meet them as I have a tendency to speak loudly in public without realizing that I'm actually being too loud until someone points it out to me.

this at all as I'm pretty much used to being called down but sometimes, when in company that doesn't know me well, my deep, booming voice sometimes causes unwitting offense. I never go out of my way to cause an unfavorable first impression but sometimes I do so inadvertently by speaking too loudly. In such cases I'll always apologize and try to explain that my hearing is not the best and I'll try to keep that in mind after the fact, when dealing with anyone I may have upset.

Another communication problem that stems from my lack of hearing is when people misunderstand my not hearing them for not listening. When a person who does not know me well has to say my name several times in order to get my attention, the sense of being ignored tends to make said persons irate, which can quickly spiral into a verbally volatile situation if I do not recognize the trend. I have been in employment situations when, in the course of doing my job (Fast Food tends to be a quickly paced and boisterous environment) I would become so focused on one aspect of the job (for instance: taking cash from customers at the drive thru window) I would not notice when a co-worker or management member might be calling my attention to some other, equally important facet of the job (i.e. a long line forming at another station like the front register).

When my co-worker would have to raise their voice in order to get my attention, sometimes customers might mistake their loudness for being unnecessarily harsh towards me when they were simply trying to get my attention.

In such situations I would often find myself answering the same question,

"Why do you allow your co-workers to treat you so shabbily!?!?" With a smile and wink I could usually defuse the circumstance by explaining that my fellow employees were simply getting my attention and not intending any real harm. I don't hear well. They have to raise their voices at me sometimes.