Chapter 3

We jogged a mile or so down the back gravel road leading to the local public high school. I didn't go to that school, and i'd heard a bunch of creeps went there.

 Barkley was running along beside me without a leash (he always stays with me) and chasing a bird up ahead of us. A lost soccer ball was tangled in a near bush, and I stopped and grabbed it out. I dusted it off and then I tossed it a few feet ahead of me.

As a little girl, i played soccer on my schools team. I was good, and goalie was my position. I stopped after I broke my foot during the championship game and lost for the team. I had played since, though i'd thought about it. I still loved it, even without a team.

I kicked it ahead as i jogged, not seeing a few guys hanging out near a tree just ahead. They were smoking. Bleh!

"Hey girl, youre looking fine in that sports bra" one of them said, looking high and out of it. I ignored him and kept walking.

"Where you goin? We just wanna say hi" said another, stepping closer to me. as i passed he reached out and grabbed my arm. i jerked away, saying, " let go of me!"

Barkley barked furiously, nipping at the boys socks and scratching his legs with his nails.  The boys shook their heads and stomped on their cigarettes, walking away. Whew.

Less than 24 hours to go.