Chapter 4

Oh my gosh! Here we were, pulling into Mizzou campus. I was about to start my new life. My mom was trying to find a parking spot and Barkley had his head out of the window. I was on the phone with Alyssa.

"Were pulling in right now. Meet me at the dorm, okay?" I said.

  We unloaded my luggage after parking. My duffel bag, two suitcases, and a few loose articles. Up the steps and through the glass doors, down the hall, third on the right. "This looks nice. This hallway, real neat'  my mom noted.

I swung open the door and stepped into a tiny dorm room. There was a middle room with a table and microwave, and a saggy red couch. The floor was white tile, not too clean but fair enough. I stepped into the bedroom and saw two twin bed frames with matresses on them. I chose the one in the far right corner.

"Okay im going to go back to get the rest of your stuff. You start putting the sheets on your bed" my mom instructed before leaving. I smiled. This was kind of nice! my own place.

I took the zebra printed twin sheets from my suitcase and fitted them on the bed, adding my top sheet and cover, also zebra print. Then I took my pillow and tossed it on there as well. Across from the bedroom was the bathroom. It was pretty nasty, but we could clean it up. The sink was rusted a bit and the toilet was old. The shower was just like all other public showers. Unwelcoming. Oh well.

I grabbed the lamp from the floor near my stuff and plugged it in setting it on my desk. Then i grabbed my curtains and hung them over the windows. They were blue and white polka dotted. Just like from Waterloo in my bedroom. A peice of home.

"Okay, all of the stuff is unloaded! lets get this place situated now." my mom said, rummaging through boxes. Barkley was sniffing around, getting used to the place. Which reminded me.

I took barkleys duffel bag and took out his doggy bed, tossing it on my bed. I put his blanket on top of it along with his special stuffed animal, a ratty old giraffe he'd chewed on for the past two years.

 Once most of the stuff was unloaded, Alyssa finally showed up. "Ahh!" she screamed, running towards me, her father and mom behind her.

 I hugged her tightly, smiling and laughing. "Were college woman! Look how cute this dorm is! except the bathrooms gross. But AHH! This is gonna be so much fun!" I said, obviously excited. She set down her birdcage, which contained her parakeet, Sammy. I laughed as he repeated what i'd said, "College Woman" in that funny parakeet voice of his.

She unpacked and we chatted amongst ourselves as her father unloaded the small TV and put it in our living area near the mini fridge.

Finally, we said our good byes and kised and hugged, tears being shed.

I really liked this though, even though i was away from home. It was a fresh start. Something new. This was my new home.