Chapter One

Matthew Crawley first saw her in London. She was beautiful, that was all he needed to know to fall in love with her.  He had been in London for work, and then he saw her in a car. He could tell just by the quick glimpse that he got of her that she was incredibly wealthy, and incredibly pretty.

Matthew had heard of love at first sight, but he had never truly believed in it: now he believed in it with all of his heart. How could he not when such a passion burned inside him? All he wanted was to know her name, to meet her, to, bear the thought, court her. Did she love him? That question was in his mind day and night. Had she even seen him? Another. But the thought that circulated in his brain the most was: would he ever stand a chance?

However much he wished to banish the thought Matthew knew in his heart that that was impossible. A woman as wealthy and beautiful as that must have a train of suitors clinging on to her, suitors that were handsome, rich, and titled. Matthew was not rich, and was not titled. He could be coincided handsome, but there were men handsomer.

And even if she did love him, and they advanced into a relationship, she was sure to have a mother, or governess, or someone, helping her find the right sort of husband. And if that was the case, they would not be looking for a solicitor from Manchester.

Many a time Matthew had wished that circumstances were different, that he was a wealthy landowner, perhaps with a title, and yet he had never wished for that to be the case so much as he was now. For if he was a wealthy landowner then Miss, whoever she may be, would spare him a chance, and he would be able to court her, propose to her, marry her?

But as a solicitor from Manchester Matthew knew that would never, ever, be the case.