Chapter Four

Lucie awoke, and a smile lit up her face as she remembered the antics of the night before. Even though he hadn't been there she'd still had a great time. She talked for a while to Mr. Crawley, and had sorted out her basic affairs with him, before she had gone for a wander around, catching the eyes of all the wealthy gentlemen. Miss Barbary would've approved.

Now all she had to do was sit around in the hotel, and wait for the visitors to come pouring in. Oh and she needed to make sure that train was booked for Friday. For on Friday she would go to Manchester to sort out her affairs with Mr. Crawley properly. Why he couldn't come to London she had no idea, but she had agreed to go to Manchester.

Lucie knew that he loved her. It had been obvious from the way he had looked at her the whole of last night. But she also knew she didn't love him, and by going to Manchester she could make sure he understood that once and for all, and that she didn't mean for them to become lovers. On the other hand she did have business with a solicitor, and so it would be the perfect affair circumstances, and Miss Barbary would never know.

No, Lucie decided. She would not inform him she didn't want to be lovers...instead she would imply it.