Smart Owl

I was a bit disappointed to see that I was still an owl when morning came. Though it would be really hard to explain why I was in Bokuto's bed if I were human again. He'd cuddled with me until he'd fallen asleep, and then I'd simply stayed put. I'd been far too tired after such a crazy day.

My second day with Bokuto was a bit different than the first. Today there wasn't any school, but the volleyball club still had practice. Luckily though, it was in the morning, that way everyone could still do other things on their day off.

Like before, I was dragged along to it. But this morning was a bit colder than yesterday and Bokuto seemed a bit worried. I didn't see why he was worried, he had his warm jacket on to keep out the cool air. It wasn't until he'd tucked me inside his jacket, my head poking out right next to his, that I understood what he was thinking. Or, as much as what could be understood. He was either worried that I wouldn't be warm enough, or that he wouldn't. It didn't matter which, because I had something else on my mind.

This was a lot closer to Bokuto than I'd ever thought I'd get.

As he'd mentioned before, I always ran away from him. It wasn't because I disliked him or even that he was a bad guy... it was something much different. In fact, I liked that energetic ace a lot. But no matter how much I would have loved to be close to him, I'd always felt too flustered to get anywhere near him.

He hadn't been wrong when he'd said I was shy, but I never actually felt shy around anyone. The moment I first saw Bokuto, that was suddenly different. My heart had felt all fluttery and I knew that if I had to talk to him, there was no way I could have done it without stuttering. So I decided that I'd avoid him anytime he got anywhere near me. A bit ironic now, considering the situation.

Practice went by without any incidents. Bokuto had a few mood swings, but nothing like the day before. That was a good thing because I wasn't so sure I could cheer him up like last time. After it was over, since there was no school today, the two of us returned to his home.

As Bokuto disappeared somewhere again, I was left to wander around on my own. This time though, I'd decided to explore around the rest of what seemed to have become my new home. If I was going to be here for a while, then I'd better get used to the way things were.

While looking around, I noticed Bokuto's younger sister along with two unfamiliar faces sitting at the table. It looked like they were studying or doing homework, but I couldn't tell for sure.

"Why is there an owl in your house?" one of the other two girls asked, seeing me walk over to where Bokuto's sister was sitting. That drew the attention of the other two girls.

"Hey Kisa," Bokuto's sister said, smiling down at me. I wondered how she knew my name, but I figured it was just because Bokuto had been talking too loud last night. Akaashi had once said that Bokuto didn't know how to whisper, so when he thought he was whispering, he was really just talking normally and that when he thought he was talking normal, he was actually loud.

His sister, who now that I thought about it was named Miku, picked me up from the floor and set me onto the table next to her. "Kou brought her home last night." She patted my head and laughed a little to her friends. "I'm surprised mom let him keep her, but no one can argue with Koutaro. Her name's Kisa."

"Why would he bring an owl home?" the other friend questioned.

"It's Koutaro," Miku said, shaking her head in disapproval of her brother's many antics. I was pretty sure I didn't want to know about all of those. "Don't ever question anything he does; you'll only end up with an eternal headache."

The three girls laughed and I couldn't help but join in. Of course, my laugh didn't sound like it used to now that I was an owl and instead came out as funny-sounding hoots. This brought us even more laughter.