All I Can Ask For

Double Update today! ;)

Third Person POV

Jay passed Lloyd in the hall.

"Going to Nya's room?" The blonde asked. Lloyd looked like he was in the mood to punch someone. Jay hoped it wouldn't be him, because the last 24 hours had already held enough pain.

"Yes. Why are you angry?" Jay said, stopping to look up at the green ninja. Lloyd was older and younger than Jay at the same time. He'd never known whether to treat Lloyd as a kid or his superior. Generally, he went with superior. Lloyd was taller than him, after all.

"Why are you not?" Lloyd said. "There are a million billion things to be upset about. Kai said you were last. To go."

"I'm alive now, aren't I?" Jay said, but he didn't smile. The truth was, Jay was too drained to be angry, or happy, or anything. "Yeah, Cole did bad stuff to me. Yeah, it hurt, and it still hurts. But I'm alive, and Nya's alive, and that's all I can really ask for at this point. Where are you going?"

"Away." Lloyd said. "Kai told me to wait in the hall. So I'm going somewhere besides the hall."

Lloyd said 'Kai' like he would say 'my dad' before Garmadon turned good. Or 'the Overlord'. Or 'Cole'.

"Oh." Jay shrugged. "I have to get to Nya. Bye."

He began to walk again.

"Jay, what happened?" Lloyd blurted.

"What?"

"What happened. After I died?"

Lloyd wanted to know. Lloyd needed to know.

Nobody ever told him anything.

"If I tell you, then I'll get angry." Jay said tiredly. "Ask Kai. I have to get Nya. Bye, Lloyd."

Lloyd didn't push the subject, even though, as far as he was concerned, he was never going to talk to Kai ever again. EVER.

There was no way he could ask more of Jay, who looked ready to die again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jay made it a little better.

When he opened the door, he didn't need to say anything. Skylor and Pixal and Zane parted as Jay passed. Even Kai didn't stand in Jay's way.

Nya was paralytic; Jay moved to her and nobody dared breathe because breathing felt wrong.

This was sacred.

Jay reached out. Nya didn't flinch. Jay's fingers touched her upper arm, right at her shoulder.

Nya collapsed.

From ice to a tsunami; she melted and fell. Jay was there.

If Jay was there, then he was safe.

If he was safe, Nya was sane.

"Jay," Nya said. She was normally against letting others hold her up, but there seemed to be no point in anything but Jay, Jay, Jay anymore. "It's dangerous when you leave."

"I had to." Jay said. "I'm sorry."

"When you leave, bad things happen. Last time-"

"I know."

Nya's arms were around Jay's neck. If he wasn't there, she wouldn't be standing.

I need to get her to Sensei. Jay thought. Sensei asked to speak to Nya.

She was soaking his clothes, the cold water seeping through fabric for the second time that day, along with more blood.

"I'm scared." Nya whispered, her hair creating a wet stain on Jay's shoulder. She still shivered and clung to Jay like he was a heater, bringing her warmth.

Jay knew Sensei Wu had asked to see Nya. But seeing her, hearing her, feeling her was enough to know Nya couldn't handle it. She needed help; why had nobody helped her? Jay couldn't understand how they just stood there with her like this.

What had happened that made Nya change so?

Jay could find out later. Everything could be later, and later, and later, after Nya wasn't like this.

"Nya, how about you get some rest?" Jay said softly, guiding Nya to her bed. Nya said nothing, simply let herself be laid down. She didn't have to utter a single syllable for Jay to know what she wanted- he laid next to Nya, curling up on the left side, his fingers brushing her hair back from her eyes once again.

Words weren't required. They held each other on instinct.

"I did the right thing. I did what I had to. I did what I had to, to get you back. I didn't make a mistake; I did the right thing." Nya rambled, defending herself to an unseen challenger.

"I know you did, Nya. I know."

"I am good. I am good and right Cole is bad and wrong, so wrong about everything-"

"Shhh." Jay stroked Nya's hair. "Go to sleep. It'll be better when you wake up."

"I'll keep you safe. From him, I will, don't worry Jay, he won't hurt you again. I'd do anything for you..."

"You're okay, Nya."

Nya's breathing started to slow.

Jay turned his head and looked at the others. Skylor, Pixal, Zane, Kai. All of them stared at him with a variation of emotions, and he stared back.

Jay mouthed, 'Go away'.

And they left. Kai didn't even make a fist with his bandaged hand.

Not one person in that group had done what Jay had told them to before.

But the power was shifting more and more every minute in this reset world.

"I won't leave again, Nya. I promise." Jay said.

The two held on, and neither one wanted to let go.

I love you.

Both fell asleep in the morning light, Jay first. He really was exhausted. Nya was as well, but she couldn't drift as easily as Jay. Her mind wouldn't die. Nya didn't want to let her guard down and relax, but slowly she was being pulled in by the syrupy warmth of him, and it was all her brain could do to have a few last frantic thoughts.

And she couldn't stop looking at Jay. He was beautiful, Nya decided. The most beautiful person she had ever seen. Especially when his heart was still inside of his chest.

His skin was so clean, so soft. Hair a mess that made perfect sense to Nya, eyes as bright as stars. She would find constellations in his freckles, and spend infinity there, wrapped up with Jay. The others were alive but as far as she was concerned, Jay was the only person who Nya truly loved. They didn't fit perfectly together but Nya didn't need perfection.

"You'll never leave me, Jay. You'll never go." A half-smile toyed on Nya's lips. Of this she was absolutely certain.

She placed her crescent-moon mouth on Jay's cheek.

"Never." Nya mumbled.

Her sleep was full of nightmares, of Jay, who learned of her Darkness and left forever.

And Cole, killing and dying all the time in a kind of cruel dance.

And the ring that still rested in Nya's pocket.

The dark triangle that she couldn't let go of.

Next chapter is going to be in first person POV! :)

What do you think of Nya's weird behavior? Why is it only Jay she trusts? Let me know your thoughts on these questions or the story in general so far in the comments!