Chapter 1

Abbie's POV

I slowly opened my eyes and winced at the pounding pain in my head. My mom hovered over me with a worried expression on her face.

"You're awake!" she exclaimed in relief. "Thank goodness, I was so worried!"

"W-what happened?" I asked, feeling disoriented. I turned my head slowly so that my head wouldn't hurt as much and took a look around at my surroundings. I was in my own bedroom. Wasn't I at school earlier? I remember I woke up this morning feeling a bit lightheaded but I had still gone to school nonetheless. What was I doing here? I waited for my mom to give me an explanation.

"Abbie sweetie, you fainted at school," she sighed. "Why didn't you tell me that you weren't feeling well? If I had known, I wouldn't have let you gone to school like that."

"I didn't think it was a big deal. I have a debate in history and a Physics test. I didn't want to miss either of them," I explained. "Don't worry Mom, I think I'm feeling much better now." I gave her a reassuring smile to prove it, but I could tell from the look in her eyes that it didn't make her feel any better. Her eyes were still filled with worry. She gave my hands a squeeze and gave me a sad smile. I wouldn't know what to do if something happened to you.. with what's going on, you're the only one I have left...

"Mom, did you say something?" I asked, puzzled at what I just heard. Her lips hadn't moved but somehow, I had still heard her voice.

She shook her head. "I didn't say anything sweetie. Are you feeling sick somewhere? Should I bring you to see the doctor? Are you in pain?" Why is Abbie acting like this? It's scaring me...

"No Mom, it's not necessary for me to go see the doctor just because of a little fever. In fact, I think the fever is gone now. It's just that-" I was going to tell her what I heard when I decided not to. I was probably just hearing things because of a killer headache I was having. "-never mind."

"Are you sure?" she asked, wrinkles creasing at the edge of her eyes. She looked even more worried than before.

"Yes I'm sure," I tried to sound as assuring as possible. I glanced over at the clock on the nightstand beside me and saw that it was almost the end of 2nd period. "I should go back to school now. I think I'll be able to make it to 3rd period."

"Why don't you rest at home for the day?" my mom suggested. "Your fever just went down. Your body is not strong enough yet."

"I shouldn't miss any more classes, Mom. I'll be fine." I got up from my bed and walked over to the mirror near my dresser and straightened out my wrinkled clothes. I had on a gray crew neck and ripped jeans. I quickly finger-combed my shoulder length, light brown hair before picking up my black backpack from the ground. "I'm going to go now, bye Mom!" I shouted as I went down the stairs and down the hall to the front door.

The high school was just a block away from my house. I got there in no more than 5 minutes. As I was walking down the empty hallway toward my locker, the bell rang.

Students came pouring out of the classrooms, making the hallway crowded at once. I got pushed around in the crowd and struggled to move forward.

I finally reached my locker when someone called me. "Abbie!"

My best friend, Alice, came through the crowd and stopped in front of me. We've been friends ever since kindergarten. It's amazing how we're even friends since we have completely different tastes. For example, she was a total girly girl, always dressed in a skirt or dress in boots or flats while I was more like a tomboy. Today she was dressed in a pink halter top with a white skirt that barely passed our school dress code and flip flops.

"I heard you fainted in 0 period. Are you okay now?" she asked, holding onto my shoulders worriedly.

"Yeah I'm feeling much better," I tell her reassuringly. 

Alice smiled at me. "I'm glad. I was so worried about you when I heard!" Pft worried my ass. It's not my problem you can't take care of yourself.

I frowned. Was I hearing things again? Alice wouldn't say something like that to me.

"Is something wrong?" Alice asked, noticing my frown. 

"No.. everything's just fine." I pressed my hands onto my cheeks and lightly slapped them, hoping that it'll stop whatever was wrong with me.

She pushed my hands away from my face. "Don't touch your face with your hands, you'll get more pimples that way. There are germs hiding on your hand. How many times have I told you that?" It would be good if you got more pimples.. your ugliness will make me stand out more... I'm so sick of seeing boys falling at your feet when your looks are nothing compared to mine.

Then Calvin suddenly appeared. He was wearing red t-shirt and jeans with a pair of Vans. His black hair was gelled up like it was always was. "Hey Ali-" He stopped his sentence midway when he noticed that I was also there. "Oh hey, Abbie! What are you doing here? Alice told me that you went home sick."

"I was feeling better so I decided to come back."

"Ohh, I see." He shifted his feet awkwardly.

"Yeah..." I stared down at my fingers as if there was something super interesting about them.

He was my boyfriend and I was his girlfriend. We dated for nearly a year but it didn't seem that way in other's point of view. We don't spend much time together as we used to. We don't talk as much as before either. Now, we only see each other at lunch and sometimes, in the halls. We have awkward conversations when we have to, asking each other about our day. Slowly we drifted apart and now, the only thing holding us together was the title. "Boyfriend" "Girlfriend"

I looked up from my hands and took a peek at Calvin who was still staring at his feet. What was she doing here... I thought it was just going to be me and Alice today...

It's happening again. I was hearing things again... maybe I should've taken my mom's offer to see the doctor. Maybe the fever I had damaged my ears or something. 

"What's with this weird atmosphere, guys??" Alice spoke up, breaking the silence between us. "Let's go grab something to munch on."

"Go on without me. I  need to do something."

I watched two of the most important people walk away from me, laughing happily at something I didn't know. Although I had been denying it for quite a while, it was pretty obvious that there was something going on between them- something I just didn't want to admit to myself. They spent more time with each other than the time I spent with Calvin although the past year. I leaned my back against the lockers and closed my eyes, thinking hard. I need to sort things out.

What on earth was going on? Why was I hearing these things? Was there something wrong with me? Was what I heard all a part of my imagination or were they actually real? And was there really a thing going on between Calvin and Alice?

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this first chapter~!

By the way, this story has nothing to do with Twilight or vampires!! I've never read that series or any other vampire stories so please, PLEASE don't assume that the plot will be like it. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻