Chapter 24

Benson's POV

"Excuse us, we are the police. I'm Detective Higgins," a sturdy man in plaid and jeans introduced himself to us at the door. "And this is my partner, Detective Haz-" With a quick hand gesture to the tall and slender man with a mustache beside him. "We came here to know more about the attack that happened in the school parking lot the other night. Are you feeling well enough for us to ask you some questions?"

Abbie gave me a worried glance and I knew exactly what was going in her head right now. Were they under the COT's influence? Or were they actual cops? I had no idea whether they were real or fake but I sent her a reassuring smile anyways.

"Yes, I can answer some questions. Go ahead and ask them," I said calmly. If they were with the COT, they wouldn't be able to do anything here. There are probably nurses and security cameras outside in the hallways. Surely they won't try anything here, I told myself.

"Mr. Chang, did you see your attacker?" Detective Higgins asked, holding a small notepad and pencil.

What was I going to tell them? Could I trust them with the truth? Or would a lie be better? I felt Abbie looking at me from the side and knew she was thinking the same thing.

I gave another look at the two men. Detective Higgins was trying not to look intimidating and his face held warmth. He had a wedding band on his right hand- he had a family, no wonder there was a sense of security that came off of him. I could easily read him: Poor boy, I wonder who would hurt him. I heard it was on his prom night. Is that young lady his girlfriend? On the other hand, Detective Haz held no expression at all. He was unreadable, like he was using the mind block. But he could also just be thinking of nothing at the moment too. It was a half half chance.

"Uhm Mr. detectives, can one of you go ask my girlfriend here too?" I glanced over at Abbie and gave her a signal. I hope she understood what I meant. "She was there during the attack too," I explained. "We both would really like to find out who attacked us. I'm worried for her safety."

Detective Haz volunteered to stay with me, "Higgins, why don't you go with the girl? She looks nervous, you'll be able to calm her nerves. You're always good at that."

And Detective Higgins was about to when Abbie spoke up, "It's alright Detective Haz, but thank you. Since Detective Higgins already started the questions, I think it would be better for him to finish. I can go with you out in the hall." She got up and waited for him to go first. Detective Haz looked troubled but in the end left with Abbie. The door was shut behind them thanks to Abbie, leaving us to ourselves.

"Right, now let's get back it Benson," he said warmly. "Is that alright with you if I call you by your first name? I thought that would make us feel closer and make you feel more comfortable." His friendliness and considerateness made me miss having a dad.

I nodded with a smile, "Yes that's fine."

"Did you see your attacker? His face? If not, maybe something that stood out to you?" he asked.

"I have mind reading abilities," I blurted out. "The people who attacked me were from the COT- the Council of Teli. They're after Abbie, my girlfriend because.. because she has mind reading powers which is rare for females. They came that night to catch her, but I was in the way so that's why I got hurt. You have to believe this. There's no one else who can help us." I watched his reaction and saw him go through denial.

"Kiddo, did you hurt your head? Should I get your doc?" He started to get up when I stopped him.

"Detective, I'm not lying. I'm being as serious."

"Prove it to me then."

"Think of anything you want right now and I'll be able to tell," I told him confidently.

I could see the internal debate going inside him, deciding whether to trust me when he finally gave in. "Fine, I'll trust you on this just once. You look like a good kid." Detective Higgins took at deep breath and opened his eyes again. "What am I thinking now?" Is this kid being real right now? I don't know whether or not to believe him. Is he going bonkers?

"Is this kid being real right now? I don't know whether or not I believe him. Is he going bonkers?" I repeated his thoughts aloud before and after putting quotations with my hands.

He gaped at me in astonishment. "You were telling the freaking truth. I can't believe this. Let me call Haz in."

"Don't," I stopped him again. "I don't trust him. I can't read his mind like I can with yours. He could be working for the bad guys. Don't call him in." I shook my head firmly.

"You think my partner is in it with that COB..?"

"COT," I corrected. "Yes, I believe he's with them."

"Then what do you want me to do? How do we stop them?" he asked helplessly. "They have those mind reading powers, what can we do?"

"You could.." kill them, I wanted to say.

"I won't kill them, if that's what you're gonna say." It was as if he could hear what I was thinking. "How did you know..." I began to get suspicious when he snapped me out of it.

"Don't suspect me. I can see it in your eyes, kiddo. The deep hatred you have against them. You have a bright future ahead of you. I don't want any blood on your hands. And I'm a cop, I can't kill, it's against the law."

"Well could you at least blind them? If they can't see your eyes, they can't use their powers."

"That won't do. They'll sue me or you for assault. Or a murder attempt," he shook his head. "Any other ideas?"

"Uhmm...."

"You know, we've been talking for over 10 minutes which is plenty of time for a quick questioning. Why haven't your girl come back yet?" he asked curiously.

"Abbie!" I cried. "Go check outside, Detective. Go!" I urged when the pain of my wound stopped me from going myself.

He pulled the door open quickly and I heard him run down the halls calling for Abbie. I tapped my hands nervously as I waited. Did he find her? Where was she? Did she go to the restroom?

The sound of footsteps got louder and in came Detective Higgins. Just him. No Abbie. "Where is she?" I asked, panicking. "Where is she? Is your partner gone too??"

"They're gone. Both of them," he revealed with a sigh. "He took the police car with him."

I slammed my fist onto the bed angrily and gritted my teeth. "This is all my fault. I shouldn't have left them out there alone. It was my fault to trust that the hospital was safe from them. My fault!!"

"Don't blame yourself. You didn't know. I looked for the security cameras on the hallways but a nurse told me they went under repair."

I clenched my fist tightly. "I have to go save her. They're going to kill her!"

"Why would they kill her? I was meaning to ask you about that when you said it earlier. If females having powers are rare, why would they hurt them? Shouldn't they treasure them or something?" he asked in confusion.

"No, it's the complete opposite. I had someone who was like Abbie. They took her one night to their research facility. I snuck in and saw with my own eyes what they do. They do experiments! Horrible, painful ones. Ones that can take the life out of you. They killed her and they'll kill Abbie too," I explained. I pulled out the IV needle with a wince and struggled to sit up. "I have to go before they start the experiments."

"That's terrible," Detective Higgins sighed. "I'll help you but what are we going to do to stop them. I can't fight against all of them. We need to think of a plan."