Chapter 4

Alice nudged him. "Tell her." He hesitated. "Do it," she hissed.

"Uh.." Calvin cleared his throat. "You see.. Alice and I are.." dating..

"You guys are what?" I asked even though I already knew what the answer was.

"We're dating," he said aloud. He let out a sigh of relief and smiled innocently as if he did not just admit he cheated on me. "Alice and I-" He wrapped his hand around Alice's waist and continued. "-are dating."

"W-when did this happen?"

"He asked me out a few weeks ago," Alice revealed with a grin. "The way he asked me was the cutest!!" Way better than how he asked you...

"I-I.." I struggled to think of what to say.

"He never liked you, Abbie," she added, hurting my heart even more. Never did... never will..

"How could you do this to me?? We're suppose to be best friends!" I was in denial.

She jabbed her beautifully manicured finger at my forehead, pushing my head back. "We just went through this. Don't you remember? I was never your friend to begin with. I was just using you." That look on her face is priceless... she looks so pathetic...

We were drawing in a crowd. People were watching us. Watching me get humiliated by the betrayal.

Alice took this to her advantage and decided to add some salt to my wound. "Everyone knew about why I was friends with you. They also knew about Calvin and me. Everyone except you. You're so dense," Alice sneered. What kind of idiot doesn't realize that her own man was stolen... So stupid...

I heard people snickered around us. I bit back tears and turned to look at Calvin. "Calvin, is this all true?" I had to hear him say it himself. I needed to hear his side of the story. Maybe... just maybe Alice was forcing him to do this? A shimmer of hope inside me hoped that this was why.

"Yeah, why wouldn't it be?"

"Did I do something wrong? Are you angry at me? Is this your revenge?" I suggested hopefully. "If it is, you got me. You can stop messing around." Please say that it was a joke.. please..

"Whenever I ask you to go somewhere, like to the movies, you say she can't come. All you ever do is study. I'm so sick and tired of you putting your studies before me," Calvin said. Was this lie believable enough? Her fake innocence was starting to get on my nerves.. and so many people were watching.. they didn't need to know that I actually purposely approached her to get to Alice...it'll ruin my reputation.. let them believe that it was Abbie's fault..

Flashes of memories played in my head. His shy smile. Him asking to work on a project with me... us talking, laughing... then him asking me out. Us going to prom, homecoming. It was all fake. Fake.

The bell rang at this moment.

"We're done here. Let's go babe." Just like that, they both walked away. The crowd scattered, leaving me standing in the hallway by myself.

I collapsed onto the ground with tears in my eyes. They slowly fell down my face as my mentality fought to accept this truth. Why.. my best friend and my boyfriend.. why was everything going so wrong?

◈ ◈ ◈

The late bell rang soon after. I didn't make a move to get up and rush to class. I just wasn't in the mood to go to class. Their betrayal hit me hard. So hard I feel like dying. It was so painful to even think about it. For the first time in my entire 16 years, I went against my good girl conscience and ditched a class. I went over to the track in the back of the school and threw my backpack onto the grass. I started to run. I ran as fast as I could, releasing both my anger and sadness.

In less than 15 minutes, I was on the grass beside my backpack, out of breath and sweaty from the exercise. I was not the athletic type, I don't think I ever will be. I laid down and closed my eyes. The sun's warmth felt nice on my skin. It was like the sun was hugging me, comforting me.

A shadow suddenly appeared over me. I slowly opened my eyes and saw that there was blocking the sunlight. It was silhouette of a guy. I squinted as I tried to see who it was.

The features slowly grew more clear the longer I looked. It was a tall guy with ruffled brown hair. His hands were in his pockets. He peered down at me with no emotion in his brown eyes. He looked like he was a senior, but that was just a guess. This was the first time I've seen him.

My eyebrows furrowed. What was he doing here? We were barely acquaintances. I didn't even know his name. I tried using my ability to hear his thoughts, but strangely, I heard nothing. I was expecting him to say something since he was the one who suddenly showed up, but he didn't. He just kept staring.

I let this go on for about 5 minutes before giving up. With no other choice, I opened my mouth to say something. "Is there a reason why you're here?" I asked. "It's making me feel uncomfortable."

"I'm a transfer student. I was told to look for you to be my guide for the day," he explained.

"Ohhh. How did you know that I was here?"

"Just had a feeling," he said. "By the way, you have something on your face." He pointed at my left cheek. "Over here."

I touched my cheek and picked off a tiny piece of wet grass. It must've gotten on there when I was laying down. "Uh thanks," I mumbled in embarrassment. Great first impression I gave him, just great.

"No problem. Are you going to show me to my 2nd period? I'm not so sure where it is." He held out a map of the school campus and examined it in confusion.

"Don't you have a 1st period?" I asked.

"I woke up late and missed it."

"Oh I see. Where's your schedule then?"

Instead of showing me his schedule, he told me that it was Room 302. What was so special about his schedule that he wouldn't let me see it? I brushed away the thought and we walked over to the 300-400 building.

I dropped him off and he went inside with a quick thanks. He didn't even bother telling me his name. I stood outside the class for a while, thinking about how I couldn't read his thoughts. There was something different about him.