Chapter 25

Abbie's POV

When Benson suddenly asked if one of the detectives could question me, I knew he was up to something. My gut feeling told me that he was sending me some sort of a message. Did he want me to leave with one of the detectives? Was one of them a bad guy? Which one of them though?

"Higgins, why don't you go with the girl? She looks nervous, you'll be able to calm her nerves. You're always good at that," the creepy skinny detective said.

Under normal circumstances, that wouldn't be suspicious at all. I mean, Creepy Detective could have just suggested that out of the kindness of his heart. But this wasn't under normal circumstances. We had the COT after us. One of them or even worse, both of them could be from COT. Why was Creepy Detective trying stay with Benson anyways? Could there be an ulterior motive?

Detective Higgins opened his mouth to say something when I spoke up, "It's alright Detective Haz, but thank you. Since Detective Higgins already started the questions, I think it would be better for him to finish." Creepy Detective seemed more suspicious than the other one. Better safe than sorry, right? "I can go with you out in the hall." I got up and waited for him to go first. Creepy detective seemed to be in a dilemma and I was a little worried he would not go. Thankfully, he just gave one last look at Benson before leaving. I followed behind him and made sure to shut the door behind them.

***

"So uhm, Detective Haz, don't you have questions to ask me?" I broke the silence between us in the hallway. Several minutes have already past and he didn't make a move to ask me anything.

He didn't answer right away and took out his cell phone. He typed something and then received a notification. An ominous smile crept onto his lips before he turned to me. "This works out just perfectly, missy."

"W-What?" I stuttered in surprise at the complete change in his demeanor.

"I was supposed to take care of the one in there first, but they said he's not as important as the lady here," he said. "And you just so happened to help me by putting yourself out of your boyfriend's reach."

This was not working out the way Benson or I had imagined. By giving Benson alone time with the supposedly not COT police officer, I put myself alone with the suspicious guy who could be associated with the COT. How stupid of me. I even closed the door! Benson and I did not think this plan thoroughly. What was I going to do now? I slowly began to back away from Creepy Detective. "What are you going to do?"

"The COT wants to meet you. You're one special lady. They specially came here to see you and I'll be taking you to them." He stepped toward me as I continued to move back.

"I don't want to meet them," I said.

"That's not up to you, missy. You can either choose to go with me willingly or we'll have to do it the hard way."

I was backed into the wall and had nowhere to run for he was right in front of me. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Fine. I guess we'll be doing this the hard way then," he grinned and reached into his pocket. "Forgive me for this." And before I could register what he was going to do, I felt my body go numb and my eyes grew heavy. Pitch darkness followed soon after.

***

I slowly came back to consciousness and found myself in a room. I was sitting on a chair with my hands tied behind me and my legs tied to the legs of the chair. A lone light bulb hung above me giving off very little light. I tried to free my hands and legs but found it practically impossible. The knots were tied tightly. I was stuck.