The Sword Master

When I turned eight years old something happened, my royal guard spotted me walking around the weapon shed, early in the morning. Luckily, Darren had been in bed all day with a fever. So, I thought that naturally the guard would think I was him. Figuring this, I acted like my brother would. I tried to convince him that I thought fresh air was a good idea to help cure my fever, and so went for a walk. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to believe my story. After a few tense moments it looked as if he decided to accept that explanation, and stated to walk towards he weapon shed, gesturing for me to follow him. Not knowing what to do, I trailed behind him. Once we were inside, he threw a wooden sword at me. Out of reflex I caught it, but only just. He looked a little surprised, than a smile spread across his face.

"Looks like you'll make a fine disciple, and an even better swordsman." He said to me with satisfaction. I didn't know what he was talking about and apparently it showed on my face, because the next second he was laughing so hard that his face turned red. "Not many can catch a sword that I throw when I mean it, and even less can do it out of reflex when their back is turned. Plus, you're not even trained yet." Throughout this entire explanation, he couldn't stop laughing.

"Wait a minute, that means you were trying to hit the back of my head! I'm Prince Derran, and if you ever try that again, I'll get you arrested!" I said, my voice shaking with rage. I thought he had believed me when I said I was the prince, and now he's trying to injure me?! He stopped laughing for a second to think about what I had said.

"Why yes I was 'Prince Derran', although I'm sure he' still in his room sleeping. I was the one who locked him in there so that no one would disturb him as he was recovering." He snarled "So who the hell are you?" He was walking forward. Towards me. Closer. And Closer. Of course, it was then that I realized how much this man resembled a bear, gigantic, intimidating, and fierce. I seemed to shrink in his shadow, and I squirmed under those piercing eyes. This man was dangerous, but then I saw something not quite right. Instead of a snarl, I found a wide smile plastered on his face. And for the second time in ten minutes, he started laughing so hard that tears were forming in his eyes. As he wiped his tear, he said, "You should have seen your face, you looked like you were going to throw up." I stood there stunned. He was only joking? He'd looked so serious that I had believed the whole thing. But then again, no one would actually try to hurt the prince. His face suddenly turned back to his usual disapproving frown. "Just so you know, I'm positive you aren't the prince, but I won't ask you who you really are. For me, if you have that good of reflexes and you're good with a sword, if that the first time you hold one, it's from catching by the hilt, thrown by me, needless to say. I want to train you." He stared at me with his piercing red eyes. "So, will you do me the pleasure of being my disciple?" For the third time, I had no idea what to do. Thinking about it while being looked at so intensely was difficult. Then again, I have always watched the guards practicing everyday, wishing I could join them. They looked like they were having the time of their lives, even if they were being yelled at or sweating so hard they could barely see.

"Ummmmmm, I would love to but on some days I won't be able to come." I wasn't sure how he would react to that, but this is the only compromise I could think of. He looked down at me thinking hard, then said.

"I see it would be hard sneaking into the castle grounds everyday. Also, when you address me you will all me Sir or Master." I blinked rapidly. I have never addressed someone using a higher rank except for the King.

"Fine, Sir Master Sebastian." It was his turn to look a little stunned.

"How did you know my name?" Shoot! I forgot he hadn't introduced himself yet.

"Even the lowest peasant in Valeia knows your name."I said, maybe a little too quickly. He seemed a little flustered. He's embarrassed! In all the years I'd known him, I've never seen him like this.

"A-An-Anyway, just Master will do. You can miss only two days a week but you must tell me the day before if you'll miss the following day." He stammered.