Derran and Darren

We stood there staring at each other for a long time, until our attention was pulled to the groaning next to our feet. I had to get Sebastian to safety away from here. I bent down to pick him up, making sure that my eyes were still on Darren. I dragged Sebastian away from him, to where the remaining soldiers had made a makeshift camp. I set him down to be treated then walked back over to Darren.

"Why are you here?" He wasn't fazed by the question, but instead frowned and said, "Probably for a different reason you're here. However, if you must know, I was visiting another country to form an alliance. Although, that was when our father decided to attack, and I got caught up in it. Now, tell me, why are you here?" I paused for a few seconds, thinking of what to say. Deciding that it wouldn't hurt to tell him the truth, I said,

"I got caught sneaking around the castle on the day you made your speech. Didn't Enzo tell you that he caught an impostor? That would be just like him." Darren looked a little taken aback when he replied.

"No, he never told me anything." What? He didn't brag about it? That's really unexpected. I looked over at Sebastian; maybe he told all the guards not to say anything. Even Enzo would follow Sebastian's orders. Returning to my senses, I turned back to Darren.

"It doesn't really matter how we got here. What I want to know, is why you're against your own country." Darren burst out laughing, and said, "Do you really think I'd tell you? No brother, after this war Valeria won't exist anymore." It was my turn to be taken aback.

"What are you talking about?!" I yelled at his face. "Valeria will not lose this war!" Darren chucked softly.

"Yes it will, and when it does I will be ruler." Ruler? So that's his motive?

"If you want this land, then talk to father. Don't participate in this war." As I was trying to negotiate with him, he kept chucking. It was really irritating.

"You know father won't give it to me. If you would like to join me, all you have to do is ask. I'm sure King Asura would understand." He said with a perfectly straight face.

"I would never fight against my own country and home, and if you do, you're no brother of mine." I spat. We both turned in unison to face our chosen sides, and marching in time, separated.