The Mistake

I trained with him for 11 years. I was happy; training with my master was fun, even if it was very difficult. For the first time, I felt like I belonged. I was sure never to be seen by any one other than Sebastian.

One day, I got careless. After all I had walked this path so often, and I knew it better than anything else. But the one thing that made this time different was that there was another guard patrolling. I recognized him at once. His name is Enzo, and he may be my least favourite person in the castle. As I was moving behind a wall to hide, he spotted me out of the corner of his eye.

"Hey you! You're not allowed in the castle grounds without permission"

As I stepped out of my hiding spot, I said, "I hope I have permission to walk around my own house." Enzo's eyes widened as he recognized me. He dropped to one knee.

"I'm terribly sorry your Highness. I thought you were an intruder." His personalities switch often I can't ever tell which is the real one.

"I hope intruders don't come into my house often, that'll be a problem if you and the rest of the guards can't keep this castle safe."

"Of course they don't your Highness, forgive me if I gave you that impression."

"That's quite fine but if you don't mind, I must go visit someone." Enzo looked a little confused.

"Your Highness, aren't you supposed to be in the grand hall right now?" Oh no! I'd completely forgotten that my brother was doing a speech for the nobles today.

"Oh yeah... I'd forgotten about it." Hopefully, I can bluff my way out of this. Just then, excited voices started filling the air. We heard phases like "For someone his age, he has a thorough understanding of the country." or "That was a very well prepared and a thoughtful speech." I grimaced. So much for bluffing my way out. Enzo looked at me suspiciously as he rose to his feet.

"Forgot did you? Then tell me who just spoke in front of all those people?" He grabbed my arm, pinned it behind my back and pushed me against the wall. "Guards! Arrest this man for trespassing, lying to an officer, and trying to impersonate the prince!" The next second, five guards were surrounding me. One of them took out his sword, and knocked me out using the hilt. When I woke up, I was chained by the wrists to the ceiling of a prison cell, my feet at least two feet off the ground. I waited like that for what felt like three hours, but might have been ten minutes. Eventually, a guard followed by Enzo and Sebastian entered my cell. Sebastian looked slightly surprised to see me there, and maybe a little sad too.