Chapter 7

Mikaelson Mansion

Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room as each of them read their own book

Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room as each of them read their own book. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table, her neck bleeding from puncture wounds in her neck, while they listen to classical music. After a moment, Rebekah enters the room.

"So this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" Rebekah asked, annoyed.

Klaus continues reading his book. "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus," Elijah replied, without looking up from his reading.

"And what's this business?" Rebekah asked, as she gestures to the dead girl on the table.

"This is a..." Elijah gestures as though he's searching for a word. "...peace offering."

Klaus sighs. "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

Elijah looks at Klaus with an annoyed expression. "And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth."

Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl on the table.

"Not this nonsense."

Klaus grins at his brother. "Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?"

Rebekah crossed her arms in annoyance. "Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two-hundred-year-old carpet."

Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor.

"Ah, yes."

The Mikaelson brothers went back to their reading. Klaus would once in a while look up at his brother. The last time he looks over at Elijah, and then to Hayley and Mireya as they walk through the room and into the kitchen, Mireya's hand resting on her pregnant belly.

Klaus then watches Elijah set down the grimoire and follow the girls into the kitchen.

In the kitchen, Elijah finds Hayley rooting through the fridge to make breakfast for herself and Mireya, while Mireya sat at one of the high chair, waiting.

Elijah leans in the doorway and smiles at him. "Hey." Mireya waves at him.

Rebekah enters through the back door, dragging a trashcan behind her. Mireya watches her in confusion.

"Listen, I know we're the only ones in this house that actually drinks milk, but would it kill any of you to make sure it's on the grocery list?" Hayley said, before returning to look for food.