Chapter 9

The Bayou
The day after Klaus had bitten Elijah, the symptoms has finally taken effect. And now, Elijah was laying on a bed in Dwayne's old shack, tossing and turning restlessly while Hayley stood at the foot of the bed and watched as Mireya tries to feed him some water.

"Here, drink this."

Elijah drinks from the cup she offers, but he immediately starts to gag and cough. His face was pale and sweaty and he looked clearly miserable.

"Forgive me. Please."

"It's okay," Mireya gently tells him, putting the cup down on the floor.

"Remind me to annihilate your brother once you're healthy," Hayley says from besides the table, while taking off her cordigan.

"Yes, remind me to remind you to get in line," the sick Original replied.

"It doesn't help that we decided to shack up in a swamp either," Hayley said as she walks out onto the porch, leaving the door open to let the breeze into the shack.

Elijah starts to cough, making Hayley to immediately rushes back inside, closing the door behind her.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he said, placing a hand on his head. "Please, just... return to your reading."

Hayley picks up the Bible and sat back in the chair by the table as Mireya went to replace the water with fresh cold water for Elijah's face. "I went through the whole thing. It's just a regular Bible... With an entry in a family tree that may or may not be me. But, you know, I've been a little busy worrying about you."

"Hayley, please. This fever will make me unstable. And once the hallucinations begin, I'll start to see things. Both of you must leave me here."

Mireya stubbornly shook her head. "I'm not leaving you like this."

Hayley crossed her arms as she looks over at Elijah. "Neither am I."

Unbeknownst to either of them, the werewolf Eve is lurking around outside the shack.

Hayley is outside of the shack near the lake, while Mireya was asleep on the chair in the shack. She hears Elijah groaning in pain and walks back inside and returns to his bedside. She sits down on the bed next to him and puts her hand on his forehead to gauge his temperature. When she touches him, she is transported into Elijah's memory from the 1800s.

"Celeste?" Elijah mutters out.

Hayley gazes at Elijah, concerned and slightly jealous. Elijah suddenly realizes he was hallucinating when he saw Hayley face.

"Hayley, I'm sorry. I thought you were someone else."

"Celeste. Whoever she was, she was smokin' hot," Hayley admitted slightly.

He looked at her, concerned and at the same time, embarrassed. "Did I let you enter my thoughts? I'm not well. I should go. This is..."

"This is fine, Elijah," Hayley tells him.