Chapter Five: Mermaid and a Sunset

*********************************************************************

Specific Dream Characteristics:

Some kinesthetic control.

Alternate reality environment.

Time stall sensation.

*********************************************************************

            Swimming. Out strokes cut through the perfectly clear and warm ocean water with ease. I and my girlfriend were enveloped in a delightfully euphoric state of bliss and joy. A calm, buzzing sensation coursed though my body making me feel warm and sleepy. Everything around us sparkled with color, happiness, and serenity. We were swimming together without a care for anyone or any thing outside of each other.

            The water was perfectly clear and the reef we swam over was only a few feet below the surface. It was a soft sand tan color with hints of aqua blue and algae green. The warm water was lapping ever so softly at our tanned skin as we swam. Nothing threatened us from below and the sky above was clear. The day was perfect.

             We reached a point over the reef where the coral dropped off suddenly into the deep blue ocean. We kept swimming far out into the water. Our bodies began to transform and grow tails. We grew into Mer-people. She had soft, long, blue teal scales down to her purple green fins. I had green teal scales to my own green and black tail, ridges running from my spine to the tips of my tail. Nothing felt or seemed out of place. It was as if we were supposed to become mer-people and our previous condition had only been temporary.   

             We could swim fast and with unimaginable power with our new tails. The speed at which we traveled was delightful and we were giggling with glee. We jumped in and out of the water like dolphins. Every moment in the air felt like slow motion, bliss. Splish, splash, in and out. As we continued to swim we spotted an island in the distance. We started to swim to it as quick as possible.

             The island was a circular mound of earth protruding from the depths. It had golden sand at its edges and deep green foliage in its center. A perfectly conical mountain soared up from the center and made up the bulk of the land. No reef surrounded the island, only deep dark blue waters. The setting sunset was warm and looked like candlelight. It was a picturesque, perfect scene.

             Swim! Jump! Soar! Time passed effortlessly as we swam and splashed in and out of the still, calm waters.  Swim! Jump! Soar! Over and over again towards our destination. Swim! Jump! Fly? Flying! We were in the air, not returning to the water. We still swam, but through the air.

             We flew high above the water to the island. With about an hour of sunlight left to enjoy, we landed in a patch of foliage that looked like large eucalyptus trees with many thick, trunk-like branches. There were only leaves in small bunches at the ends of each branch. The trees also had fruit growing directly from the undersides of the main branches. The fruit had a red-orange color and looked like sweet plums. They were about the size of grapefruits and were full of sweet juice.

             We held hands. Perched on a branch, we gazed out to the sunset, swinging our tails back and forth beneath us, and eating our fruit. I closed my eyes and paused for a moment to enjoy the pure ecstasy of the moment. I opened my eyes once again to stare with wonder and happiness into the eyes of the only woman I have ever loved.

               Awake.