Chapter Six: War, Part One

*********************************************************************

Specific Dream Characteristics:

Full kinesthetic control.

Choice driven actions.

Realistic physics.

Time of day in perpetual flux.

Reoccurring.

*********************************************************************

            I stood on the right side of a long, wide road that stretched out into the distance before me. I was under a streetlight that had just buzzed to life. I looked across the six lanes to my left to see the other sidewalk. At the edge, grass sloped sharply upwards about four feet before flattening out and continuing toward the old Victorian mansion.

            The edge of the lawn at the top of the embankment had large trees with many trunks. The trees were spaced about fifteen feet apart and continued down the side of the road as far as the eye could see.

            I was standing at a T-intersection facing north. The road led away from me north and south with the mansion property at an 11 o’clock position from me.  To my left at 9 o’clock, the road continued about 200 meters into a humongous dark tunnel, the road entering but the other side unseen. The tunnel led into a large embankment that was covered with long green grass. The embankment traveled left and right, horizon to horizon, and nothing could be seen past it. It acted as a backdrop for the mansion.

          The mansion itself was two stories high. There were probably ten rooms on each story judging by the size of the building. The colors of the old dilapidated building consisted of rotting white paint and eroded pink for the trim. The windows were all ether boarded up, shattered, or had the shutters swinging loosely in the breeze.

            On my right was a huge, well-manicured park. I could not see to the other side of the massive plot of lush land. It was crisscrossed with walkways, each lined with bushes, hedges, or palm trees. The grass was short cut and soft, almost like moss. Each walkway was a tan gravel pavement with tan tiles.

            It was dusk. The rain had just stopped, but the clouds still hovered ominously over the land. The pattern of clouds was very peculiar: they came from the east covering the entire sky, but at the road the clouds abruptly stopped and only a clear, night sky was overhead. The stars had already come out in the dark blue sky, but the sun was still setting somewhere over the embankment and shedding fleeting bits of light. Night was approaching as the sunlight began to fade fast. The streetlamps began to turn on with their warm, familiar yellow buzz. The light illuminated the road, showing off the oily, slick, and still-wet ground. The pathways were also lit up with the same style of lights. The lights reflected peacefully off the fallen water, causing a calming sensation to come over me.

            I joined a group of about 25 young men traveling through the park, northbound. The group was comprised of guys between the ages of 17 and 22. We were all wearing white button-up shirts, black cravats, and black jeans. We continued north with a giddy spirit. We walked and jogged together like an ocean wave, not on the pathways but through the bushes and trees.

            We approached a large building that was just off the right side of the road. It was about four stories high and gave off an ominous feeling with its presence. Small 2x2 foot windows lined the uppermost part of the building. It was built with large, grey cinderblocks and was a rectangular square shape. With our curiosity sparked we ran to the right end of the building, away from the road.