Prologue

It was late afternoon and the beautiful Georgia sunset painted the sky. Little Casey Miller was traveling home with her older brother, who had come home from college due to the recent Flu outbreak. He had picked her up for school and treated her to ice cream and pizza. As their car traveling down the highway her brother spoke, "I can't believe you ate half of a large pizza, I mean that thing was double your size!" The child shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a growing girl," she replied cheekily. The young male laughed at his younger sister; they were almost ten years apart, yet just as close as any other pair of siblings.

Their car came to a halt at a small suburban household. "Don't bother mom, you know she doesn't feel good. I need to finish getting my stuff out of the car, and then start unpacking. I'll be inside in a few minutes," Her brother instructed her. "Can I stay with you, Josh? Please! I could help," Casey pleaded. He shook his head solemnly then he spoke, "Go help dad with laundry, or something," The girl knitted her eyebrows in frustration. "But what if I don't wanna," She retorted. "Just go inside," Josh said, "I promise we'll play the wii or something in a little bit." The ten year old puffed out her cheeks in annoyance. "You never have time for me," she grumbled under her breath.

She trudged into the family home. It was unusually quiet. Normally her dad would be listening to 80's Classic or yelling at the t.v. screen; however no sounds could be heard. She threw her backpack to the ground. "Daddy?" She called out, but was greeted by silence. She walked slowly to her parents room. Casey could hear groans and growls. "Momma?" She asked through the door. Once again no answer. The young girl slowly turned the knob. What she was greeted with horrified her. Her mother was tearing her father apart. All the blood splattered the walls and on her mothers body. The woman turned towards the girl, staring at her with lifeless pale blue eyes. She let out a horrific scream.

From outside her bother heard it. "Casey?" He asked franticly and bolted in. He saw her running towards him. "Casey, what is it? What's wrong?" He asked. She could barely get anything out she was so terrified. All she could manage out was gasp and sniffles as she hid behind her brother. The monster came into view. "Holy shit." Josh mumble while looking at what used to be his mother. She lunged for them, but Josh was to quick. He picked up his sister and ran outside, slamming the door as he did. He set his sister down on the hood of the car. "I'm gonna go back in." He breathed out.
"No, no, no! She'll kill you! She killed dad!" Casey cried. He picked up a baseball bat from his sports backpack. "We need to get your stuff. I'll be quick okay!" He breathed out, clearly stressed.

He was right, not five minutes later he came back with her pink duffel bag with a blue 'c' on it. The bat was covered in blood, and the young girl knew her mother was dead. Casey took a shaky breath. "It's okay. It's okay. We'll figure this out. Cross my heart." He told the child softly. He threw the bat down into the grass, and came towards her. He leaned to her level, wiping away her tears. "Don't worry, we'll go to Gram and Pops house. Then we can sort this out. We are gonna be fine." He added with a reassuring smile.

But they weren't fine, at least not the girl. That was the last day she ever uttered a word.