One

"It's just a simple run. I'll be back in three- five hours tops. You don't have to worry, but if I don't go we'll starve faster that the dead can eat us, " My brother told me. That was four days ago, and I had begun to worry. Pacing the room back and forth, my  brain was turning in over drive. The only food I had left was a can of green peas, and I've hated those since I was a child. I looked out of the window, but the sight I was greeted with was not a friendly one. Two males were heading straight towards the house. Out of all the ones on the street they pick this one. My heart started racing a million miles and hour; I felt as if I were going to be sick. I had to keep a level head, Josh prepared me for this. I grabbed our duffels and shoved them into the closet. Then I took my bow and the quiver and tucked it under the bed. I heard the door being pushed open;I took a deep breath. I'm out of time. My brother's words ran through my head: "The world ended! There are no more good people, you can't be selfless anymore. Now it's kill or be killed." I gulped and took a shaky breath as I grabbed Grandfather's old hunting knife.

I slowly and quietly made my way to the closet; making sure that my tread was as quite as a mouse. Once inside I closed the door, and held the knife ready to attack. I closed my eyes and listened intently, one of the men were shouting extreme vulgar and beating on the wall. I gulped nervously. Morbid thoughts began running through my head. What if these people killed my brother, and now they want more blood. What if, what if, what if. I heard the clumping of feet on the stairs; my breathing suddenly hitched. 'Am I really about to kill someone?' I thought to myself. I heard the door to the room open, I raised the knife; I was not dying today.

I could hear them tearing through our stuff. My brother taught me to clear my mind when I killed. Focus on one thing, ending the life. The sound of walking was going back out. I opened the door as quietly as I could. It was a boy, no more than my age. I squeezed out of the the small area and attacked. I jumped on his back, covering his mouth with one hand and trying to slit his throat with the other. He fell backwards and landed on top of me. He quickly rolled over and  began to reach for the knife. I raised my knee and kicked him where the sun don't shine. He yelled out in pain, as I would assume that's a natural response.  I seized this moment to stand up. I noticed he had a gun, but before I could take it a heard the click of another.

"Put your hands up, and drop your weapon," A gruff voice said. I looked up to see a gun pointed at my head. I closed my eyes as I felt tears coming. I laid the knife down and raised my arms in surrender. "Now how many others are there?" He  demanded. I looked up at the man. To say he looked like he had been through hell and back was an understatement. I felt a gun being held to the back of my head. "If I were you, I'd answer the question," the boy said. I could tell that this man wanted to scold him, but bit his tongue. I opened my mouth to speak, and like always nothing came out. I tried to push out any sounds that would come out, but only squeaks came out. The mans face softened and he lowered the gun, but it was still ready to shoot. "How many?" He asked again. I held up one finger in response. "Okay, where are they? Tell them if they are ready to attack that we are peaceful people," the man Said. I shook my head, Gone, I signed.

He cocked an eyebrow, I repeated myself. "What's wrong? Is she deaf?" The boy asked stupidly. If I was deaf I wouldn't be able to reply, though I guess I could read lips. "Are...you...deaf..?" The father asked slowly making sure I could see his every word. I shook my head. I held out my hand for his and I felt the boys gun push deeper into my scalp. "Don't trust her," he spat. "Carl, she's scared put the gun down," he instructed. Hesitantly and unwillingly he obeyed. The father put his hand into mine. It was ruff and callused while mine was still partially smooth. On the back of his hand I spelled out 'M' 'U' 'T' 'E'. He nodded in understanding. "We will go, leave you be," he said kindly. Carl, I think that was his name, looked angry. "Dad you can't do that, " he said harshly. 'S' 'T' 'A' 'Y' I spelled then 'H' 'U' 'R' 'T'

The man nodded, "Thank you, I'm Rick Grimes, and this is my son Carl." I nodded my head and signed 'welcome' then a 'C' and 'J', that was a lot easier than spelling out Casey. I knew he had absolutely no idea what I was saying, but at least I had manners. I held a finger to tell him to give me a moment. I pushed past the boy who was guarding our stuff. "What are you doing?" The extremely moody teen asked. I reached in the bag then handed him the first aid kit we had acquired. The boy handed to his father, who examined the continents. "How many walkers you killed?" Rick asked. I thought for a moment. I didn't quite know the answer. It had to be in the double digits. I shrugged, making sure it was clear that it was unknown. "How many people have you killed?" He asked. Didn't he just ask that question? Roamers were people once too. I raised an eyebrow. "The living," he added. I quickly held up my fist meaning zero.

"You didn't have a problem with taking me out," Carl grumbled. "You would have done the same thing if you were in her shoes," his father scolded. He looked back at me and asked, why.
'Kindness' I replied with sign though this time I mouthed slowly so they got the memo.
"What about the other person, how do we know she isn't lying? Dad you can't be serious," Carl whined. I looked behind my shoulder to see the boys twisted and angered face. I should tell them he's dead, but even I don't know.  "Where and who are they?" Rick asked. I reached into my brothers bag, and pulled out one of our family photos. It was right before he went to college, so it captured his likeness now. I pointed to him.  Rick nodded, and decided not to question me on what happened to my parents.  "Where is he then?" Carl hissed. I signed 'run' just to be on the safe side incase he came back.

"That's good enough for me," Rick said with the nod of his head.