Three

That morning I was awoken to a loud "Damn it." I looked over to where I concealed my bow. The thought of other people here was still alien. I figured it best if I seemed harmless, as I was not very keen on being shot in the head. I carefully made my way down stairs and peered over the banister. Rick was still asleep, which was odd considering how loud Carl was shouting. I cautiously moved over to him. He noticed my presence and instead of glaring daggers he sorta just glared a less sharp dagger.  "You have nothing to eat, but stale cereal." He grumbled poring himself a bowl. He glanced up at me and poured another; pushing it to me afterwards. 'Thank you' I signed.  Carl slowly sat down at the table and began to eat.
"We've got to figure something out. All  this can't talking thing is ridiculous." He told me like I didn't already know. "So have you always been mute?" He asked tying to be a bit more friendly. It was quite obvious he didn't want to.
I shook my head, and he looked shocked. "Why are you then? Did it just happen?" He asked mildly intrigued now. I looked around for the paper and pen. He noticed and grabbed it off the counter for me before returning to his seat. I sat across from him and began writing.

'I haven't spoken since the beginning. Seeing my mom rip my dad to shreds did a toll on me.'
His eyes skimmed over the paper and his resting bitch face turned into a slight frown. "I lost my mom too, I had to... I had to be the one to put her down. Did you have to do that too?" I shook my head. How was I going to tell him I had been to scared, to weak to do anything.
'My brother did it. I wasn't even in the house when he did. Guess that makes you better.'
Carl shook his head. We both stayed quiet for a long time.
'After that I never spoke. My grandparents tried everything they could but nothing worked. I wish I could though.'
Carl sighed and nodded, it was like he was the mute one now. He looked up to me then spoke, "If you could say one thing what would it be."
I thought for a minute or two, and then I smirked at him.
'You're an asshole, fix that.", I wrote. Carl smiled and nodded in defeat. I knew I was going to cherish this moment. "Alright, you got me. I'll work on being a bit more trusting. You know I was expecting you to kill us, but I didn't hear a peep. You didn't even come close to to the stairs. Weren't you afraid of me killing you?" He said. I nodded, I don't think he knew how scared I was. "So you just figured I wouldn't?" He asked. I nodded again. "That gets you killed, trusting someone." He said solemnly. I rolled my eyes. 'That's a broken record. My brother told me that on a daily basis. It's why it was just me and him.'

"It's just me and my dad too. We used to have a whole lot more, but we were attacked by another group. I don't know if anyone got out." He explained. I signed 'sorry'. He asked what it meant and I wrote it down. He signed it too. "About being an asshole, and plotting to kill you." He Said. I let out a small huff, it was pretty close to a laugh.
But that blissful moment was interrupted by banging on the door. I turn to face Carl with wide eyes. This could go bad in so many ways. It could be a rival, a herd, or even worse, my brother. Carl held a finger to his lips as he looked out the window. "It's only one. Probably heard us shouting last night. I'll take care of it. I'll look for food while I'm out. Watch my dad," he said swiftly. As he walked by I grabbed his fore arm, shaking my head. He jerked away. "It's this or starve. Just stay here." He ordered. Great, he's an ass again. I watched as he walked out the back to avoid being detected. I looked over to Rick, and I have to say I was worried. I'm no doctor but it looked like a severe case of getting the shit beat out of you. I looked out the window to see if Carl had killed it but he was leading the damn thing, like it was a game of tag. I ran upstairs and grabbed my bow. One of us had to be an adult. His dad would kill me if I let him die.

I followed him by the sound of his voice, yelling like an idiot. He was going to attract more of them.  By the time I found him he was being trampled by one of the dead. I heard a gun shot and noticed another was coming towards him. I quickly pulled out and arrow and fired. In the heat of the moment the string caught my hand, but we had more important matters right now. Four consecutive shots followed, and then everything was still. I managed to make the c sound, but nothing more. I rushed over and helped pull them off of him.  He looked appalled, his face twisted and eyes of ice. "What the hell do you think you're doing? And where did you get that?" He yelled referring to the bow. I didn't reply per usual, but this was on purpose. I shoved him again it was the only thing I could think of. He makes me want to yell. "Huh, huh-" I tried to say home but instead of continuing I just pointed. "No, not until you tell me what you were doing!" He yelled. I motioned to the pile of Dead. "I had it!" He replied. I rolled my eyes, and started to walk back.

I could hear him groan and grab my arrows before chasing after me. "You could have been killed," he said softer, but still pretty pissed. I shrugged, it didn't matter. I was the last Miller, and if I want to put myself in danger, that's my choice. It's not like Carl particular likes me either. "I get the feeling you're trying to shake this off, but this is important to me. I think when we get ready to leave, you should come with us. You don't know if your brother is even coming back, but we can be there for you, and I promise I'll work on being less of an ass," he offered. Okay, maybe he liked me just a wee bit. I looked up a him and smiled. 'Thank you.' I signed gratefully. He looked at my hand and back to me. "Did one get you?" He asked. I looked at my hand, and at the cut the bow had left. It was deep, but I'd live. Though now that he'd pointed it out it hurt like hell. I shook my head and you could physically feel his worry fade away. "Come on, I'll get you cleaned up," he said. I nodded and smiled. This looked like the beginning of a very good partnership.