Two

Carl has been bickering with his dad for at least 45 minutes. If I could tell him to fuck off I would. Unfortunately I have to sit here in silence watching the pair go back and forth.
"Dad, I can't believe you, she tried to kill me!" He would shout.
"She was scared. We broke into her home," Rick would retort.
"She can't be trusted, she's gonna slit our throats in our sleep," he sneered.
"I watched her hesitate, she didn't want to do it," Rick replied, clearly beaten down.
Honestly I didn't know how much longer he could last. He needed serious medical attention. The last thing he needed was his brat of a son telling him off. I figured Carl would try to snuff out my light before I could his, so I stayed in Ricks sight.

Carl looked overat his dad and back to me. 'I'm nice.' I signed slowly. He rolled his eyes and scoffed. I couldn't tell if he was being an ass or couldn't understand me. Probably both. I had had enough of this abuse, so I decided it was time I high tailed it out if there. I went to walk up the stairs to gather my things when Rick stopped me. "Where you going?" He asked. I pointed towards the front door which Carl had had tied shut. That was before they found little old me. Rick raised a questioning brow. "What about your folks? They'll be looking for you." He said. I looked down sadly. My brother was dead; he would have never taken this long for a simple food run. But who was gonna take care of me? Josh may have taught me a lot but there is no way I could last on my own. I nodded in defeat. I groaned and signed 'Stay' then 'one' and finally 'day'. He nodded in satisfaction.

At the end of the day I helped the pair make a pallet in the floor for ass hole Magee, and made a nice place on the couch for Rick. Rick crashed. I don't think that man has had an once of sleep for a long time. I looked over to Carl and nodded my head for him to follow me. I looked around in the drawers and found a black sharpie. "What the hell are you doing?" He asked. I sat on the counter and started writing in a note book I had found lying around.

'You don't trust me.'

He peered over and scoffed. "You tried to slip my throat." He argued.

'Sorry. Let's start over. My name is Casey Jean Miller. C.J. Is easier to sign.'

He seemed reluctant, like someone kicked his puppy one to many times. I don't blame him.
"Guess you know I'm Carl." He mumbled.
I nodded. "So how are we gonna do this? You don't trust me, I can see it, and I don't trust you." He said crossing his arms.

'You have my only knife, remember'

His eyes scanned over the page. He looked up at me and nodded. "What about your guns?" He asked. He couldn't have been serious. If I had a gun I would have shot his ass by now. Especially when he had me cornered in a closet. I gave him a 'are you always this dumb' look.

'We only had one. Brother took it on his run."

He scoffed again. "I don't believe you. How do I know you won't shoot us up in our sleep?" He asked. His tone was cold, like he was afraid to let me in. I huffed out and groaned at his lack of faith. If looks could kill I would have been dead cubed. "Do you think I'm kidding? I should shoot you right now and save us all the trouble," he barked. My eyes widened. Oh hell no, I didn't make it this far to be shot by some pissy teen. I slid off the counter and pushed him back. I shook my head and picked up the paper and pen.

'You are just as afraid as I am, and if you think because I'm mute, or I'm a girl that I am easily manipulated you are wrong'

I had to write fast before he could slap the shit out of me. I held out the notebook and watched as his eyes drifted over the words. His stone hard expression faltered for a moment, but he quickly regained it. "I'm not scared, I've done things you wouldn't believe. Seen things you could never understand." He defended. I pointed to myself and held up to fingers. "Everyone says that. They say they get it but they don't." He said quietly looking down at the floor.

'Maybe not entirely, but I've seen shit'

He laughed slightly. "You don't strike me as a cussing type." He said. I shrugged. Not a lot of people know what's going on in my noggin. Honestly I didn't either. There were times when I wanted to shout, or tell my brother to stop being an idiot, when I wanted to comment on the situation, but noting comes out. I want it to, but it never does. "So what happens now?" Carl asked. I pointed to his pallet in the floor, and signed 'sleep'. He raised an eyebrow.

'I promise I won't kill you. Scouts honor. I'll even put my hand on a bible of you'd like.'

He nodded. "Fine, but if you try anything I'll put a bullet right between your eyes." He said quite seriously. I gulped, he's a bit to serious. I have him a thumbs up, telling him I understood completely.