Chapter 11

Chapter 11 - I Miss the Lips That Made Me Fly

The air outside suddenly feels colder as Kellin and I make our way up toward the observatory. I can't decide if this is because Kellin himself all of a sudden seems colder and more distant or if it's simply because the night sky is gradually falling on us. Logically, I know that it's the latter answer, but I can't help but think that the former probably has something to do with it, too—I didn't notice the gradually cooling air when I was busy talking and joking with him, but now he has completely shut me out, focused only on finishing our task and getting this whole thing over with. So much for us enjoying our time together.

I can't wrap my head around him, and even more than that, I can't stop thinking about him. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I'm with him twenty-four seven, but it's still slightly unnerving. It feels like how we were a year ago, in a weird way, because I wish I could figure him out, just like I did back then. It was out of fascination back then, though; now it's out of desperate need. Plus, back then Kellin showed interest in me consistently (and he was also very single). I haven't even figured out if my thoughts about him are romantic or if they just appear that way because I'm wishing for how it used to be. To put it simply, it's all very confusing, and Kellin isn't really helping that much.

The Griffith Observatory is impressively large, so I turn my attention to that, taking a few moments to admire the view of the actual building, which now has its outside lights turned on to illuminate it in the darkness of the purple-black sky. Even Kellin stops to just sort of stare at it, shaking his head in disbelief. "This is pretty cool," he says slowly, staring down at his phone with narrowed eyes, "but when Bree says to take a picture 'in front of the building and the city,' do you think she means in front of the building with the city in the background, or does she mean to actually go in and take a picture of ourselves looking at the city from the deck or whatever?" He sounds kind of nervous.

Remembering Kellin's fear of heights, I bite my lip, hating to be the bearer of bad news. "I mean, she did say to 'observe the night sky,' didn't she? Although that might've just been to tell us where to go."

Kellin sighs and makes a face, putting his phone back into his pocket. "Knowing her, I'd assume that she wants us to go inside. I mean, while we're here, I guess we might as well."

It's probably not my place to say anything about his fear, but I find myself trying to sympathize. "It might not be that bad," I say softly.

Kellin just kind of scowls. "I'll be fine," he says dismissively, and then he starts walking toward the observatory.

It's a pretty cool place, I'll admit—even someone who isn't into space could find it interesting, and someone who is into space would have a field day. There are murals on the ceiling and areas with different exhibits, and within five minutes of looking around, Kellin has declared that we're going to stay awhile and check everything out before we head to the observation deck. I'm not complaining at all; if he hadn't already suggested it, I know I would've.

It's a bit later in the evening when we eventually tear ourselves away. Kellin, of course, tries to stay in a "safer" area for as long as possible, but he and I both know that it's time to get what we came here for. Kellin says he doesn't really care where we go, since there are several decks and terraces all around the building, so we make our way to the elevator that will take us to the deck on the roof. "You'll be okay, right?" I say to him, still hesitant to do anything because of how he'll react.

He shrugs as we both step into the elevator. "Yeah. It'll be fine." He doesn't sound fully convinced, but he does sound like he's trying.

No matter where on the roof we decide to stand, the view is simply incredible. The moon shines bright in the dark sky, and below us, the city is all lit up, thousands of lights stretched out in front of us. As we head closer to the edge, Kellin grips onto my arm as if I'm the only thing that will keep him from falling or blowing away. I grab ahold of his hand, and he squeezes it tightly, shifting his body so that he's closer to me. The hostility from earlier seems to have faded, if only a little.