Chapter 14

a/n: hi hello im back from my unofficial Longer Than Expected hiatus sorry i suck!! im not gonna give a super long explanation other than that my life is always busy and im always a mess but im back!! and i mean it this time ok i've been writing and planning so much these past couple weeks and i have like 3 new fics that i've been getting ready for so keep an eye out for new stuff!! i luv yall thank u 4 sticking w/ me

Chapter 14 - Faith in Love

For a few moments, all I can do is sit there, trying to process what just happened. The TV is still on, but it's all background noise, a soft hum compared to the memory of Kellin's lips on mine, repeating over and over again in my head.

I don't know where he's planning on going, but I feel like I have to find him. I don't want to just sit here alone and wait for him to decide to come back, even though I know he'll have to do that eventually. Who knows what he could be up to?

As I grab the hotel key off the nightstand and head out of the room, I can't help but remember how the tables were turned that time last year, when I stormed out of our room after finding out that my parents were splitting up. I remember it hitting me harder than it probably should've—I'd grown so distrusting of relationships after Craig broke up with me that it felt as though love was just a myth. I remember breaking down, saying that nothing good could ever come out of it, that nothing would ever last. It's been a year since then, and even though Kellin and I are both kind of a mess right now, I think I can still safely say that my views have changed, at least somewhat. If I can get over an emotionally abusive asshole like Craig, can break free of him and move on, then maybe there's hope after all.

I can't see Kellin anywhere in the hallways, and something's telling me that he's not going to be anywhere in the hotel. That's one thing we have in common: when we want to brood, we'll be out somewhere. So out I go.

It's late, but the air is still fairly warm, though not overwhelmingly so. I'm not really sure which way to go from the hotel, but the city seems busier off to my left, so I decide to head right. Kellin should ideally be outside along the edge of the sidewalk somewhere, whether it's hiding in a nearby alley, walking aimlessly through the city, or sitting on a bench or something.

I'm almost shocked at how I've managed to lose him this quickly. I left the hotel room maybe ten to twenty seconds after he did, so he should be right ahead, but I can't see him or anybody that looks like him. He must've performed some sort of disappearing act.

I'm about to turn around and try the other way, wondering if maybe I was wrong and Kellin really did venture into the more bustling areas, but before I do that, I decide to stop and ask a guy walking past me in the other direction.

"Hey," I say, slowing down as he comes closer. "Sorry to bother, but did you happen to see a young dude down this way? Long dark hair, real pale looking, kind of on the short side? Probably looks either pissed or anxious or both?"

The guy slows down, too, narrowing his eyes. "Does he smoke? 'Cause I just saw someone that could fit your description smoking alone on a bench. Didn't get a real good look at him, but it could be your guy."

I nod quickly. "Yeah, yeah, that's probably him. Where is he? Just down here?"

"Yeah," the dude replies. "Just keep walking until you get to the end of the block and turn right. You'll see him right there."

"Thanks," I say breathlessly, hurrying off in the same direction I've been going. Sure enough, when I round the corner, I find Kellin smoking a cigarette on a bench, watching the traffic as it rushes by.

Before I have a chance to speak, Kellin glances over, raising his eyebrows when he sees me. "Vic?" he says, holding the cigarette between his middle and index fingers. "What are you...?"