Chapter One, Part One - Snakes and Bitches

Pulling the compact from my purse, I checked my hair and makeup one last time. Being girlfriend to a popstar means always being prepared. Especially to fail.

Deep breaths. My heart was tap-dancing in my chest... Stuffing the compact out of sight, I traded it for the teddy bear. Mr. T safe in one hand, I knocked on the hotel room door, clearing my throat in the silence. Months of saving checks and hoarding tips had crowned to this one shining moment.

What could go wrong?

"Aww! Who's this little guy?" I picked up the bear, sitting cross-legged on the mattress. My Aunt wasn't home. Good thing or she'd call her new husband and tell him to start digging the hole.

"That, is Mr. T." A boy with green eyes and brown curls belly-flopped on the bed. Head cocked on his fist, he rolled a red Dum-dum between his straight white teeth. "He'll keep you company while I'm gone. Not much of a talker, and for some reason he never laughs at my jokes, but at least he's a good listener."

"Bet he won't hog the covers either."

"Better not."

Tongues and hearts intertwined, there was only Mr. T between us. Tyler tasted like cherries, his lips more addictive than the sugar. I would replay this kiss in my dreams. And every day he was gone my heart would skip just thinking about it...

Tyler pressed his forehead to mine. "Come with me."

"We talked about this. You go, I stay. You concentrate on the tour and I'll concentrate on saving up. We're spend time apart this summer so that when you come back... we'll both know what we want."

"Ali, I told you, I know what I want--"

"Then you'll still feel the same when you come home. Right?" I lifted his chin, pecking his nose with a kiss.

We burned hot all senior year - through false wedding rumors, tabloid kisses in the park, enemies--determined to tear us apart. We could use the summer to cool off, to make sure the sparks really were flames.

"New York will still be waiting."

Tyler threaded his fingers through my hand, raising them in the air. "Will you?"

"I have a few reasons to stay." Pulling my shirt over my head, I pressed him to the mattress...

We fucked, all evening, until his manager called and ruined the rest of the night by ordering him onto an earlier flight.

I drove him to the airport at 3 a.m, attendants already waiting out front to help Tyler with his bags. I pressed the button to pop the trunk but Tyler paused in the passenger's seat, fingers drawing slow circles on my knee.

"I know you're scared, Ali. Hollywood relationships never. But we're different. We grew up together, we know each other. The tour's not gonna change how I feel--I want you to move with me to New York."

"And not just because you feel obligated to take care of your broke, non-famous girlfriend?" Which was strictly against the rules. I wasn't with Tyler for his money.

"Fuck you." He grinned. "I'm the charity case and you know it." He held his pinky out. "No snakes."

I hooked my pink through his. "No bitches."

Just us.

The last time I saw Tyler I was leaning against the car watching him walk away. Flanked by bodyguards, he rolled his carry-on through the sliding glass doors, phone in hand, earbuds in place. He turned back at the last minute, blowing a kiss I dodged like Soulja Boy. All the way home his laugh followed me.