Chapter Seven, Part One - R.I.P Ali

One afternoon, I decided to surprise Tyler with lunch from his favorite deli, Mile End. Since the board had decided to offer Tyler a chair, he was working extra hard to impress the company, putting in extra hours at Spin. Between writing music, performing shows, and mentoring other artists, I couldn't figure out how Tyler kept up. He did it smiling and never complained.

"Josh-y. Hansh-y." Waving at the blushing security guards, I flashed my pass and strolled through the metal detector. It always beeped and I always kept it moving. Reed heels navigating the shining floors with ease, I smoothed my mini dress and unpinn-ed my curls - in case Tyler wanted dessert.

Opening the door to his usual booth, I stopped short when I spotted my boyfriend with a visitor.

Snapback in reverse, Tyler sat backwards in his chair. He nodded along as Peyton Lane leaned against the soundboard, belting vibrato notes to a bouncy pop track. She couldn't have looked more stunning in her corset-waist skinny jeans, beach-blonde hair spilling down the back of her cropped hoodie. 

I raised my hand in a half-wave, half-apology as Peyton moved a few knobs on the board, cutting the sound.

Tyler left his chair, hugging me in happy surprise. "Hey, pretty thing." He kissed my cheek, hands traveling my silhouette. "You look nice, are you going out?"

"Actually, it was for you," I said, raising my eyebrows, and the bag from Mile End. 

"Oh-h-h-h-h-h..." Tyler chuckled. "Kinda ruined your plans..."

"Kinda."

Still grinning, he took the bag and set it aside. Standing behind me, his arms draped around my neck, Tyler introduced me to his ex-girlfriend.

"Ali, this is Peyton; Peyton, meet Ali."

"You guys are so cute together." Peyton's smile was bright and convincing... for an actress. "Tyler talks about you all the time."

"Really? Interesting," I said, head cocked to the side. "He hasn't mentioned you."

Tyler intervened, blushing as he stood beside us. "Peyton just signed with Spin. It's her first week; I'm showing her the ropes."

She's been here a week and Tyler's just now mentioning this? But common sense told me he wouldn't fly me to New York, and write me into his will, just to betray me with another girl. I trusted Tyler implicitly--but I didn't trust his taste in exes.

"I'm interrupting. I'll leave; you and Tyler should share the food."

"Oh, no." Hand on her heart, Peyton's cutesy smile was charming, something you'd expect in an audition for a Colgate commercial. "I just hate leftovers. But you can have them."

"Okay, y'know, what--"

Tyler quickly stepped between us. "I love you," he said, with a big stupid grin on his feet. "I'll pick up dinner on the way home. We'll Netflix-and-chill it out. All night."

I exhaled, forcing a smile in place. "It's a date." I said, backing away. Coulda been yours, I mouthed, motioning at my dress. All of it.

Tyler groaned, covering his face with his hat.