Pussywhipped

He's got a huge bottle of oil in his hands and he smirks at me.

It's for the popcorn. I like watching him work with his hands, measuring out kernels, lighting fires on the stove, gathering the bowl and butter and siracha and salt. They're sculptor's hands: strong but still soft. They can build or break, girls included.

He lifts me up and sits me on the counter. I'm almost his height now, able to stare at his long lashes, the starry expanse of his midnight eyes.

"You got pets, kid?"

"A turtle."

"Whoh, a reptile chick. That's weird and hot. Tell me about this turtle. Do you let it walk all over you.. Here?" He trails his slender fingers down my thigh, smiling all evil.

The oil sizzles; kernels begin to pop.

"His name is Herzog. He's this big," I hold out my fingers to show how tiny his shell is.

"And does he believe," Adam begins a very Werner Herzogian German accent, "ze common denominator of ze universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder?"

"Actually yes. The Chinatown turtle trade is a dirty business. But my Herzog is mostly into sunbathing."

"Ah, so more of a --"

Just then, something jumps on the counter behind me and I yelp, grabbing on to Adam.

I turn to see a curious looking cat that looks exactly like Adam on the counter. He's got big goofy ears, kind eyes, a sideways smirk and a sleek body. He stares at us inquisitively.

"You're kidding!" I laugh. "No way are you twinning with your own cat. It's too unreal."

He grins sheepishly. "That's Chicken Fingers, the cat."

He stokes the kitten's back and picks him up one hand to nuzzle him against his face. "Some people find him kind of sexy, despite his big ears and odd looks." He blushes.

"Oh, he's quite distinguished looking. Where did you find him, and have you asked your mother about a long lost twin?"

"My roommate picked him out from the shelter this week. Sadly I don't think this cat has ever been to Indiana."

I take note of his Midwestern drawl, imagine him raised in the plains like some sturdy cowboy, riding horses bareback, chewing on grass while he eyes you up and down in the stable.

"That's where you grew up?"

"Born in San Diego, when my mom moved us to her hometown. Couldn't handle living with my father the preacher anymore."

So that's where his powers of persuasion come from, dark like the fiery pits of hell and full of sin, but also the light there. I can see the battle waging in his eyes. I imagine him as a gangly California kid, budding with sexuality on beaches and hikes, being uprooted to the demure Midwest, no one but Christian girls to give promise rings to. I bet he was first seduced by an older woman, someone who could tap into his animalistic sexuality, who knew he was more seductive than his years.

I hop off the counter, head towards a side table, rifle through the drawers. Inside I find   military dog tags lying in a dish with keys.

ADAM DOUGLAS DRIVER
O POSITIVE
ATHEIST
MARINE 1ST BATTALION

I imagine his jacked body doing push-ups in the mud while a seargent screams in his ear. I pocket them quickly as he comes behind me.

"Popcorn's ready. Let's go to bed."

I laugh and follow him and the smell of popcorn and the total unknown. I've never been so excited to explore someone's body and mind, I'm going to go Columbus on his ass. I hope the cat gets to watch me makes sweet love to this Vader angel too good for this earth so it'll be a weird Adam Driver x Adam Driver Cat x Me threesome. Meow.