chapter 1~ maka's pov~ mission accomplished

"Soul resonance!" I say loudly as I grasp soul, in his weapon form, tighter. "Genie hunter!" I yell as my partner turns into his genie hunter sycthe form. I pull back the sycthe and charge at our enemy. I put every last drop of my energy into this last attack as I split our enemy in half. All that is left of him... is his soul. My partner changes back into his human form and walks to the bright red soul, floating just a bit above the ground.

Soul smirks and grabs it. He places it in his mouth, and eats the soul whole. My partner turns to face me and smiles, holding up a thumbs up sign at me. I laugh a bit but then I feel a sharp pain... On my stomach... and I feel dizzy.

I walk towards him and my legs wobble every step I get closer to him. "We did it soul." I give him a weak smile. My stomach starts to sting painfully. I wince as I placed my hand where it hurt. "H-huh?" I held out my hand... to see red blood on my white gloves.

I look down at my shirt to see that it was no longer white... it was also bright red. My blood. My smile faded and my vision went blurry. All I could see was a blurry image of soul running to me. I fall to my knees and I look at his red eyes one last time before I entirely hit the ground. Everything goes to black.

Have I passed out? Or am I dead? What happened to me? My thoughts slip away from me and the last thing I remember before I fall unconscious is what Soul had said to me earlier before... He said he would risk his life for me... and I made a promise to myself... that I would do the same for him.